Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Im type 2 diabetic. I will be watching television and all

Im type 2 diabetic. I will be watching television and all of a sudden my vision is so bright I cant see. its like when you have your eyes examined and they dialate your eyes and you go out into the bright sun light. has happened 3 times in last couple of wks

Welcome to Pearl.com

One of the possibilities is that the vision gets affected from ocular migraine ( fortification spectrum- it begins in one part of the visual field and spreads across the entire field) . These episodes last anywhere between 30 minutes to 1 hour. For confirmation of the above it is better to get the eyes examined in detail by an ophthalmologist including the dilated eye exam ( which is quite helpful to know if there is any other problem causing such symptoms).

Thank you and best wishes.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions, if any.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is no headache associated with it. do not have migraines

Hello John,

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

Not all migraines are associated with headache and one can have migraine without a headache too such as acephalic migraine.
The very fact that the vision improves after a while and is not constantly lost shows that it is an intermittent phenomenon. The other conditions with brief loss of vision are ( transient obscurations of vision (TOV) as seen in retinal artery occlusions, elevated optic discs as in papilledema. But these are less common conditions and are confirmed by the dialted eye exam ( fundus examination).