Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I have involuntary eye movements ussually the just close and

Customer Question

I have involuntary eye movements usually they just close and make me look as though I am grimacing in pain,most bouts last about 1 minute and seem to strain my neck as i try to regain normalcy. They seem to be recurring more and more"When they close it it very difficult to open them again and i end up shaking my head for some reason as this seems to hurry the process along

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom-Eye : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom-Eye : It sounds Like you have a blepharospasm it looks Like you are off line now. I will get back to you in a couple of hours. Would that be okay?.
Customer :

im on line what is blepharospasm and what can i do about this?

Customer :

So what is this thing I have and how do I get rid of it?

Customer :

so what do I do at this point. Sounds like botox may be the way. How much for one eye?

Dr. Tom-Eye : Standby for about 15 minutes and I will spend all the time with you that you need. Thanks.
Customer :

Im back ,love to talk to you

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Okay, I'm with you. Let's get started. Let's start off by you letting me know what you have learned about blepharospasm. It sounds like you have already learned that Botox is one of the treatments.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

When you said " make me look as though I am grimacing",....... blepharospasm goes to the top of the list of potential diagnoses. The introduction of Botox into the management of blepharospasm has really changed the ability of ophthalmologist to help patients with dealing with this problem. While there are many different types of specialist that treat blepharospasm with Botox, many patients live in communities where there are ophthalmologist who are fellowship trained in ophthalmic plastic surgery. They have extensive training and management of all of the problems that can develop with their eyelids. So if you live in an area that has an academic teaching institution, or which is large enough to have ophthalmic plastic surgeons in the community, it would be a good idea to seek a consultation. First, it is essential that an exact diagnoses is made. Then the various modalities of management can be discussed with you by an expert. Does this make sense so far?

Customer :

yes

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Is there anything else that I can help you with an understanding blepharospasm and its management?

Customer :

I think you have answered most of my questions.Also I live in Salt Lake City. Any ideas on where I might go to get this actualy figured out as the :B-SPASM

Dr. Tom-Eye :

I will be glad to take a look for you. But before I do, do you have an ophthalmologist with whom you are already established?

Customer :

no

Customer :

sad part is I don't have health insurance!

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Okay. I'm going to give you an Internet address to an ophthalmic plastic surgeon in Salt Lake City. I want to emphasize that I do not know this individual, and can only say that the credentials he presents on his website sound reasonable.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Before you leave this site to check him out please let me know if there is anything else that I can do for you?

Dr. Tom-Eye :

While you're thinking about that, I am going to switch us over to the Q&A section. Don't worry, you can continue to ask me questions there. But if there's nothing else that you would like to do for you, you will be able to rate how well I did and answering your question. And I would like to take this time to thank you for allowing me to answer your question. Best wishes.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

I will be happy to help you with any additional questions.. But if you have no more for me since this time, please take a moment to click on a happy face to rate my service to you. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
PLEASE RATE MY SERVICE TO YOU BY CLICKING ON THE SMILEY FACES BUTTONS . 'EXCELLENT' FEEDBACK IS ALWAYS APPRECIATED.