Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

In the area where I live, there are often small rainbow-like

In the area where I live, there are often small rainbow-like puddles of gasoline on the ground. In rainy weather, it's almost impossible to avoid stepping on some place that has gasoline residue. Hence, when one steps on such gasoline residue, it also assumedly stays on the bottom of one's shoes and gets tracked over almost every place - in the car, in the house, etc.

Would this be harmful? (i.e., gasoline vapors getting inhaled, coming in contact with the eye?) Is this really such a bad thing, since it's almost impossible to avoid gasoline residue on the ground? Would hand sanitizer (put on the house floor) help clean up gasoline residue?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. For the most part, no, this relatively small exposure is minor and shouldn't cause problems with breathing fumes or fumes in the eyes.
Doctor DanB : As far as getting the gas off indoor flooring I really don't know, but laundry detergent on your driveway or garage floor cannhelp
Customer:

OK

Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?
Customer:

OK

Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

So gasoline vapor is typically not harmful unless in rather large amounts?

Doctor DanB : Usually, yes.
Customer:

OK

Customer:

Thank you

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!