Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

After spending half an hour attempting (success!) to remove

After spending half an hour attempting (success!) to remove a couple eyelashes from my eye, the outside corner now appears like it has a little blob of clear gelatinous material on it, which I can feel there, but is not painful. The itching and irritation has all stopped upon removal of the hairs, but blob near the spot of irritation remains and that eye is still about half open compared to the healthy one. is this this just something that was due to the foreign bodies and will dissipate, or do I need to take some kind of action a la the walk-in clinic? Many thanks!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Can you upload a picture of this blob using the paperclip on your screen?

Customer:

I don't think I can do that on this computer.

Customer:

I would describe it as clear mucus

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, we can work without the picture....

Dr. Rick :

Is it elevated, attached and roundish?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

slightly elevated - like a thick film

Dr. Rick :

Like a plaque or a fluid filled cyst?

Customer:

it doesn't seem fluid filled

Dr. Rick :

OK.

Customer:

my eye has largely stopped watering and feels almost normal

Dr. Rick :

If your eye were a clock face, where would this thing be located if you were looking at your eyeball? 3:00, 6:00 etc?

Customer:

the face in the mirror would have it at three o'clock - the side closer to my ear not my nose - near where the hairs were

Customer:

I was hoping it was some kind of protective thing from the foreign bodies and would gradually go away

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I think what you are noticing is called a pinguecula. This is nothing to be worried about.

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe it is from what ever got in your eye, but rather that you have just noticed it since you have been looking closely for what was irritating you.

Customer:

that's what i thought you'd say, but didn't want to take chances with eyes. will avoid contacts today - shall I flush with anything?

Customer:

I'll get it looked at in the near future

Dr. Rick :

You can use natural tears to soothe your eye but a pinguecula is from chronic changes in the skin on your eye from chronic exposure to the sun. It is not a cancer or anything like that.

Customer:

Cool. Thanks.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer:

I'll hit my smiley face and take off then. :)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest