Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

Yesterday after returning from my office and doing chores for

Yesterday after returning from my office and doing chores for my family , I noticed part of my left eye extremely blood red at an area located to the left side of the cornea . If I needed to describe the total area of redness I would state that it is blood red for a portion of the eye that measures 1/3 to 1/4 of my eye. I have no pain and do not have any recall of injury yesterday. I also have no cold or flue symptoms . Overall I'm pretty health . Non smoker or drinker and my weight is also I'm check 6' 2'' 170lbs. I do have arthritis on my left knee. However that is in check as well. If you like I can send a picture.
Jeff DObrowolski (NNN) NNN-NNNN
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your problem. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Hi, I just reviewed your question and I can help. Please send the digital photo and I will take look and get back to you. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Tom-Eye :

If you have any problem with attaching your photographs let me know.

Customer: to where do I send picture
Dr. Tom-Eye :

There is a paperclip icon on the toolbar, but it may be easier for you to just send them as an attachment in an email to my private account. please use: XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Please let me know if you're going to use the private email and I will switch over and look for your photographs.

Customer: Sent toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Dr. Tom-Eye :

Great, I'll switch over to my email account and wait for them. I'll get back to you just as quick as I review them.

Customer: It is only one picture but I think it will be sufficient
Dr. Tom-Eye :

That sounds fine, it just hasn't come through yet

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Great thank you. There's a little bit of the shadow but there's a 99% chance that what you have is a sub conjunctival hemorrhage. Generally speaking, the spontaneous ruptures of a conjunctival blood vessel are not threatening. While they look threatening, they are in reality about the same is a bruise under the skin. The redness will slowly resolve changing color over the next week or so. There's nothing you really need to do for it, but some people find the use of an artificial over-the-counter eye drop comforting. There may be a little swelling which would lead you to feel it a little bit when you blink. In the majority of cases, patients do not recall having done anything to create these little capillary bleeds just as you said you had not had any injury or pain.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Does that make sense and answer your questions?

Customer: Yes . Should I continue with Saline wash? As well as it looks to me like it is not as red as last night. However is there anything else I should be monitoring or on guard about?
Dr. Tom-Eye :

Sure, continued lubrication is appropriate. An over-the-counter artificial teardrop such as Systane or TheraTear might be a little more soothing than plain saline. As long as you continue to see slow resolution of the redness, no change in your vision and no production of mucus there is really nothing else for you to do except wait for the hemorrhage to go away. I expect you'll be just fine. You're welcome to continue to ask questions, so at this time I'm going to switch over to the question-and-answer format. You can continue to ask follow-up questions until you're completely satisfied. It was a pleasure assisting you this morning. You have my very best wishes.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jeff,

Did that Red eye go away ?

Just thought I'd check back in with you.

Dr. Tom