Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I HAD PINK EYE TWICE IS THE LAST 3 MONTHS FIRST TIME WAS AT

I HAD PINK EYE TWICE IS THE LAST 3 MONTHS FIRST TIME WAS AT THE TAIL END OF A REALLY BAD COLD IT STARTED IN ONE EYE THEN GOT IT IN THE OTHER IT WAS ITCHY BURNED AND WHITE STUFF WAS ALWAYS IN THE CORNER OF THE EYE AFTER A FEW DAYS IT WENT TO THE OTHER EYE THE PHYSICAN PRESCRIBED OFLAXACIN IN EACH EYE 2 DROPS THREE TIMES A DAY 7 DAYS WENT WAY THEN MONTH LATER GOT BRONCHITIS AND TAIL END TURNED INTO PINK EYE SAME SYMPTOMS SAME EYE DROPS WENT AWAY HE THOUGHT ALSO COULD BE ALLERGY RELATED NOW I WOKE UP WITH ONE EYE SLIGHTLY RED LITTLE BIT OF MATTER IN THE CORNER OTHER EYE IS FINE AND THE RED IN ONLY SLIGHTLY ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE EYE COULD IT JUST BE ALLERGY RELATED OR I SCRACTHCED IT OR IS IT GONNA TURN INTO PINKEYE AGAIN NEVER HAD THIS BUT WE RECENTLY OPENED A RESTAURANT I DO WORK THEIR AND I WONDER IF I AM CATCHING IT THERE
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your problem. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom-Eye :

It sounds as though you have certainly been through an awful lot with these recurrences. I am here to answer questions for you. And before we get started I want to congratulate you for having the courage to open a restaurant. It must be a really daunting task. And no doubt you're putting yourself to the test with all of the responsibilities that you must have. It must be exhausting, and it may even be lowering your resistance a little bit.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

One of the first things I'd like to point out, is that "pink eye" is generally considered to be viral in cause. It's not always viral, but usually. As such, antibiotics can't cure the virus. It is our immune system, and sometimes certain anti-viral medications, that bring viral infections under control. Given that you also speak of bronchitis it is probable that there was a viral upper respiratory infection that included the eyes and throat. The viruses that cause pinkeye, and upper respiratory tract infections are quite contagious.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

You mentioned itching of your eyes, a little bit of redness and a little bit of matter in the corner. Itching almost always implies that there is an allergic component. And the production of white matter, which is just the mucus of the tear film being produced in extra amounts, is really normal and protective. It does not mean that there is a bacterial infection.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

If there continues to be significant itching, an over-the-counter antihistamine eye drop would be a safe consideration. Scrupulous attention to hygiene, both at home and in the workplace, will be very important if this is a recurrence of a viral conjunctivitis. Frequent hand washing, sanitizing hand soaps and frequent replacement of any napkins, towels or washcloths is also indicated.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Hopefully, the above will give you some overview in a few suggestions of how to take care of yourself, and protect, both yourself, and those around you. Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions that come to mind. I don't want you to sign off until you're completely satisfied.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

And again best wishes in your new restaurant enterprise.

Customer:

DO YOU THINK THATS IT PINKEYE AGAIN OR JUST MAYBE ALLERGIES THIS TIME SO FAR NO ITCHING AND NO BURNING AND THE OTHER EYE IS STILL OK SHOULD I CONTINUE TO PUT HOT COMPRESSES ON THE EYE OR SOMEONE TOLD ME A WARM TEA BAG WILL THE REDNESS EVENTUALLY GO AWAY AGAIN

Customer:

WHY DOES IT REOCCUR

Dr. Tom-Eye :

At this point, you probably are not having a recurrence of the same viral pink eye. Our immune system's usually take over and have the ability to block that particular virus. It's possible that you caught another virus, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion at this point. After our eyes have been infected or inflamed for a while, we're really much more prone to have more sensitivity as the normal tissues and tear film attempt to return to normal. That is likely what you're experiencing at this time. The redness will certainly eventually go away and warm compresses plus the use of over-the-counter artificial tears can be very helpful in bringing back the normal ocular health. I'm not sure about the teabag. It's benefit is probably from the heat and light pressure you're putting on your I when you apply it. After all the tea bag is not going on your eyeball itself but rather on your lids in the in the warmth is transferred. We generally do recommend people use artificial tears 3 to 4 times a day after and eye infection. They help reestablish the normal tear film. A good quality over-the-counter artificial tear drop would be Systane or TheraTears.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Please let me know if that helps. Or, if you have any other questions

Customer:

SO BEING ITS JUST THE FIRST DAY OF THE REDNESS I SHOULD NOT RUSH OUT TO GET ANOTHER ROUND OF EYE DROPS JUST YET USE THE WARM COMPRESSES FOR NOW IS THIS A COMMON THING WHERE IT DOES REOCCUR FREQUENTLY

Customer:

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INFORMATION I GET REALLY NERVOUS

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Generally a good first response would be warm compresses and over-the-counter artificial tear drops three or four times a day.. There are specific reasons for which we apply antibiotic eye drops. An ophthalmologist will base the decision to use antibiotics for eye infections based on his microscopic examination in the office. However, there is a significant difference between slightly red, watery eyes that have a small amount of white mucus, and a more angry red eye with large amounts of greenish mucus. I would recommend that if you truly get a recurrence, and it sounds like what I just described, you should make an appointment with an ophthalmologist. An ophthalmologist is a physician trained in all aspects of eye diseases and surgery. True recurrent infections are not something to mess around with. At this point, I don't think you need to be really nervous at all. Treat things symptomatically, but if they don't improve significantly in a few days: call and ophthalmologist for an appointment. Most ophthalmology offices are prepared to see people probably for emergency reasons. Does that help you any in your decision-making?

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Before you sign off, I want to be sure that you are completely satisfied. So please let me know if is anything else that is worrying you.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

It seems like he might've gone off-line, so I'll switch this dialogue over to the question-and-answer format. But our chat has not ended until you're satisfied, so don't hesitate to type in other questions. And thanks for letting me help you.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.