Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

my wife had cataract procedure on left eye. she was given (pre-op)

Customer Question

my wife had cataract procedure on left eye. she was given (pre-op) choice of a lens that would leave patient nearsighted/farsighted vs plano and she chose plano. now she can't see anything close up and doctor is wanting to prescribe prescription glasses. we think the wrong lens was implanted. glenn

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

I presume that your wife did not get a premium lens implant (would've cost a few thousand extra in cost to you)?

Doctor DanB :

If this is correct, then she got a monofocal lens implant (IOL, or intraocular lens). A monofocal IOL only allows clear vision (without glasses) at one focal plane, or distance away from the eye. The power of the IOL can be chosen to allow a patient to see clearly at near, or at intermediate distance, or far away when not wearing glasses after surgery. If the IOL implant were chosen with the goal of a refractive error of plano, then this is opting for distance vision to be the clearest after surgery without glasses. Because the lens is a monofocal implant, only one focal distance can be clear at a time without glasses and since the distance would then be that focal distance, she would require glasses to see anything at a near or intermediate focal plane. Does that make sense?

Doctor DanB :

So if the wrong IOL was implanted, or the wrong power was implanted (and this wasn't a premium IOL), then there was either an error in calculation of the power of the IOL, or there was some miscommunication between your wife and the surgeon regarding expectations of the results of the surgery.

Doctor DanB :

Does this information help address your concerns?

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!