Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

What about the color vision portion of the Titmus test?

What about the color vision portion of the Titmus test? What are the answers for it?  Can the color portion vary depending on the examiner or the Titmus machine or are they all standard?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your problem. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Since you are off line now, I'll switch over to the question and answer format and you and I can get started answering your questions when you come back online. If you come back online too late tonight to work on this, we can get right back on it in the morning. I've read your questions and I think I can give you the answers you're looking for.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Just leave me a note when you think you would be available to continue our conversation. I look forward to helping you. Dr. Tom.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

By the way, I am on Eastern standard Time. That may affect the timing of our conversation based on what part of the states you live in.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

By the way, again, when you come back online to the question-and-answer chat format, disregard

Dr. Tom-Eye :

the first section you'll come to that says our chat has ended. Just go to the next open text block and type in your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, would you like to continue our conversation about the color vision portion of the titmus test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, Dr. Tom. I'm in Central Time Zone. I'm available now until10:00 CST and after that I have the noon hour available. I'll just be sitting here at my desk eating lunch.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Well, it was 11: 04 Eastern standard Time when I picked up your message. If you are online now we'll chat but, if I don't hear back from you, I will try you again in about an hour
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, shall we take up the color vision test question now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I'm back now.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Wonderful, so let's start at the beginning of your inquiry regarding color vision. Please let me know specifically what you would like to learn from this conversation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm wondering about the color vision portion of the Titmus and how it is administered. As I understand, it is part of the exam done on the Titmus machine.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
The Titmus testing instrument has several components. It is primarily used to test visual acuity. It can determine whether one is capable of seeing 2020, or anything else to legal blindness. It also has the color vision screening capability. It is administered by a technician, who will typically ask the patient to lean forward so that their fore head is resting against a sanitized head piece, and with both eyes open asked to report what they see. The color vision test objects are seen by each eye and the patient reports what they see. The technician records what the patient tells her. Using theTitmus is for screening purposes, however the color test objects are based on another, more sophisticated color vision testing modality. If the patient performs normally on the color vision screening there would be no further color vision evaluated indicated. Please let me know if this answers your questions and was what you are looking for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is this other, more sophisticated modality for color vision testing?

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
There are several more sophisticated color vision testing modalities. Three of the most common are Ishihara, Dvorine and Farnsworth D-15. The Titmus test is based on the Ishihara pseudo-iso-chromatic model.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
I am Still available for further conversation, so please let me know if there's anything further you would like to chat about, regarding color vision testing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a way to know in advance how to answer the color portion of the Titmus test?

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
It would be possible if one knew in advance which model of the Titmus was in use, and also knew for sure that the color slide was the original and not a replacement. As you can see, the variables are huge.
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems