Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I tripped on a curb the other nite & fell flat on my face-----as

I tripped on a curb the other nite & fell flat on my face-----as a result I have a big "egg" on my forehead & both eyes have large black & blue marks under my eyes----especially the right one which also has a swollen part on the upper eye----I also have scraps on my nose & my upper lip -----my upper lip is also swollen-----What can I use to bring the swelling down besides ice & what is quickest way I can get rid of the black & blue marks under my eyes?????
I am a female & am 74 years old------

Welcome to Pearl.com

It is very unfortunate that you had such a nasty fall. The blue/black marks which are seeing along with the swelling is due to a hematoma on the forehead ( blood clot under the skin) with ecchymosis ( bleed into the skin under the eyes). You have done the right thing by applying ice packs. Unfortunately the blood clot is likely to take its natural course and could vary from 1-3 weeks to disappear. It might even change color from red to brown to purple to green before it disappears.This is due to breakdown of the blood products. The process of healing cannot be hastened with any medicines. In case you have pain, you can take analgesics such as Tab.Tyelenol, 500 mg twice a day for 3-5 days( being an anti-inflammatory it will also help the swelling to reduce). In case you experience any other symptoms such as headache/loss of consciousness/ convulsions do consult a physician for a closer look( just a word of caution given to every person with a head injury).

Thank you and best wishes.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions, if any.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Hello Peggy,

I noticed that you have viewed the answer but not responded back or rated the answer. Please let me know if there is anything else that I may answer for you.

Thank you and best wishes