Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

Two years ago I had lasik surgery (PRK) performed on my eyes.

Two years ago I had lasik surgery (PRK) performed on my eyes. I now see perfectly, but occasionally I'll wake up in the middle of the night to shooting pains in my eye. The pain lasts only briefly, but it will definitely wake me up and cause my eyes to water quite a bit. What is the cause of this? Will it continue? Should I be concerned?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am online now would be glad to help you with your question . Please let me know if you are there and we well get a conversation going. Dr. Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. Tom - I'm here
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
It appears that you currently are online, so just click on a response button. There is a little bit more information that I would like to get from you so we can try to find some useful help for your problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a chat feature? What else would you like to know?
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Actually we are in the chat feature now, and the system seems to be having a little bit of a delay problem. I was going to ask you how soon after you had Lasix that you developed your problem. However because of the delay this going on in the system I'd like to give you a little bit of information that I think will be useful for you. You are experiencing the development of little dry spots on your corneas, which leads to you having the eye pain when you open your eyes after sleeping. This is common and it is very manageable. You may already be using some drops for dry eyes. Many people with your symptoms do very well if they will use a gel like artificial teardrop at bedtime. A very good product is Systane. It is over-the-counter and it comes in a gel form. Some people need a little more lubrication and there are several very good ointments. An example would be Lacrilube. The overall good news is that what you have is a common problem , and certainly should be manageable. I'm delighted that you had such a wonderful outcome and I congratulate you and your surgeon. Do you have any other questions that you would like to ask? I'm sorry the system is having this delay but I am here until you're satisfied
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
It appears that you are now off-line. When you come back on, if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask. I will be checking in and out. But our primary objective is to make sure that your question was answered to your satisfaction. You really don't have anything to be seriously concerned about. The little dry spots usually quickly heal themselves, but the lubrication that I mentioned in the earlier post, to be used at bedtime, can significantly reduce your symptoms. Best wishes, Dr. Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah - the issue has been happening less and less, but it did happen recently again, so I wanted to be sure it wasn't a larger problem. And is it ok if I use the eye gel every night? Which product do you recommend most? Is there a technical term for what's been going on?
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is perfectly permissible to use the eyedrops or the gel every night. Start out with the Systane gel. If that doesn't work you could go to the thicker lubricant, Lacri-Lube. You ask for the technical term for your dry eyes...... it is referred to as superficial punctate keratitis. That is too big a term for you to have to worry about, and everybody will know what you're talking about when you refer to it as dry eyes. Your eyes are not really dry, but the little dry spots often feel like sand and that is why it's referred to in such. I hope this is answere your concerns and your questions satisfactorily please let me know if there's anything else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, that's it. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Okay, please call on me again if you have any other questions about your eyes. Thanks, ***** *****
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems