Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am fuctionally dependent on one eye. I have had catarct

I am fuctionally dependent on one eye. I have had catarct surgery (2 yrs ago) and my optometrist suggests yag laser treatment of the posterior capsule. I will ask the treating opthamologist, but is this treatment risky for my situation? My night vision driving is certainly better than before my cataract surgery, but I feel I'm more sensitive to oncomong lights of late and I feel there is noticable light spread from street lights.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is the glare a big problem for you or are you having other bothersome issues with your vision at this point?

Customer:

I read that retinal detachment is a possibility, how likely and does the risk increase if i delay the procedure one or more years?

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina surgeon and in over 2 decades of practice can count on one hand the number of retinal tears and detachments I have seen following a YAG laser treatment. I would not worry about this.

Dr. Rick :

But, if your vision is not really bothering you, there is no need to rush into getting it done. It will be technically just as easy to cut the capsule next year etc...

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Customer:

Not a big problem. Certainly more noticable. No other problems. Yes, my optomitrist felt I should visit the opthamolgist for evaluation and probable treatment. I was born terribly cross eyed and had corrective surgery at age 3. I'm told if I lost my dominant eye the other would compensate. At age 63 spending all these years with a totally dominant eye, I'm quite defensive.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Dr. Rick :

About the other eye compensating...that only works if the eye is removed......and then it is not a sure thing

Dr. Rick :

I fully understand your being defensive on this issue :)

Customer:

I'll have the evaluation and have the conversation with the doc. I saw a stat that put detached retina as a one in fifty chance, which seemed pretty high.

Dr. Rick :

That is very,very high in my experience.......and retina is what I do so that my wife can shop like a madwoman :)

Dr. Rick :

I, personally, would not fear a retinal detachment if I needed a YAg

Dr. Rick :

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer:

Thanks so much, I'll see what the doc has to say, I wanted some input from someone with no dog in the fight so to speak. This all seems quite subjective, I'm an engineer and pilot so I much prefer levels of certainty which just don't exist.

Dr. Rick :

Now I understand why you are doing such a good job of researching this issue.... :-)

Dr. Rick :

Take care and have a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season.