Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am getting increased haziness in both eyes 65 years after

I am getting increased haziness in both eyes 6 years after cataract surgery. Is there any non invasive alternative to posterior capsulotomy that supposed to remedy the problem? I am afraid to laser puncture the posterior capsule as it separates front of the eye from the back of the eye and as the procedure may cause scars in the same way the capsule has been scarred after cataract surgery Henryk [email protected]

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

There is no other way to improve the clarity of your posterior capsule that is as safe as YAG laser capsulotomy.

Dr. Rick :

As an eye surgeon with over two decades of clinical experience I can tell you that YAG laser posterior capsulotomy is one of the safest, most effective, procedures that an ophthalmologist does.

Dr. Rick :

There is no reason to fear that the tiny puncture in the capsule made to improve your vision will in anyway cause problems between your anterior and posterior eye segments. It will also not cause any scar formation what so ever.....

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

Do not believe anything you might read on the internet about drops, diet or other "Treatments" to clear your vision or your posterior capsule. Each and every one of them is a scam....

Dr. Rick :

There is nothing to fear about having this common, very effective and safe procedure done at your ophthalmologists office. Trust me. You will be very pleased with your improved vision....

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : There is no other way to improve the clarity of your posterior capsule that is as safe as YAG laser capsulotomy.
Dr. Rick : As an eye surgeon with over two decades of clinical experience I can tell you that YAG laser posterior capsulotomy is one of the safest, most effective, procedures that an ophthalmologist does.
Dr. Rick : There is no reason to fear that the tiny puncture in the capsule made to improve your vision will in anyway cause problems between your anterior and posterior eye segments. It will also not cause any scar formation what so ever.....
Dr. Rick : Are you available to chat?
Dr. Rick : I guess you have stepped away from your computer.
Dr. Rick : Do not believe anything you might read on the internet about drops, diet or other "Treatments" to clear your vision or your posterior capsule. Each and every one of them is a scam....
Dr. Rick : There is nothing to fear about having this common, very effective and safe procedure done at your ophthalmologists office. Trust me. You will be very pleased with your improved vision....
Dr. Rick : Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr Rick,

I hope you got my very delayed comment. I am not a good typist.

Henryk K.

Hi Henry,

I'm sorry but your comment did not come through.

If you wouldn't mind, could you please retype it in the box below?

I will standby.....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick,

I found in the Encyclopedia of Surgery (on Internet) that 80% of patients are getting about 2 years after posterior capsulotomy (YAG laser) the Elschning's pearls around the opening. This requires additional laser procedure. As I understand the "pearls" form in the posterior capsule after cataract surgery as well and are at least partially responsible for the haziness.

I am not a good typist and therefore my answers are taking longer time. Sorry about that.

Regards, Henryk

No problem....I used to be a slow typist before joining JA!

Excellent job on the research....

In two decades of clinical practice I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to do a repeat yag.

No worries here, Mate (at they say DownUnder) :)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Hi Henry,

I was just thinking about you and wondering if you have had a chance to have your YAG capsulotomy yet. If you did I would venture to guess that you are enjoying much better vision right now. Take care and have a nice day.