Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I suffer from allergies and sinus issues. Lately I have been

I suffer from allergies and sinus issues. Lately I have been waking up with severe headache on the left side of my head and sometimes throughout the day. It is worse when I bend down. I also have severe [pain/ pressure above my eyes. When my allergies get really bad I also experience dizziness. Could the headaches be allergy related or something else? It's always on the same side and worse in the morning. Any advice. C

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?

Dr. Rick :

How long has this been going on for?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?
Dr. Rick : How long has this been going on for?
Dr. Rick :
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi! yes, I take zyrtec and singulair.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The headaches have been going on for several months on and off. I get sinus infections every 3 months or so.

Do the zytec and singular help at all?

Other then the above, have you taken anything or done any treatment to try and make things better?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Medication does help with ashtma and zyrtec seems to work okay, but I haven't been doing a great avoiding allergens. I use a neti pot daily.

Ok. Thanks for that extra information.

I would bet that you are correct and your symptoms are due to allergies.

You are already doing a lot of things that can help at home but I'd recommend also adding a humidifier to your bedroom and an high efficiency filter (HEPA) to your home heating system. This may help a lot.

Also, it may be helpful to consult with a ENT specialist as the mucus membranes in your sinus cavities may be chronically inflamed and in many cases "cleaning" them out can make you feel better.

Another option is to consult with an Allergist or an internal medicine doctor. They can prescribe stronger medicines that might be able to drastically reduce your suffering.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the advice. I will be seeing an ENT and allergist soon. I was hoping the Singulair would help me, but it has done nothing to control my allergies.

you could try a benadryl 50 mg to see if it helps until you get in to see the ENT. Other than that you have already done everything you can using OTC therapies.

I hope you feel better soon.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.