eyesight2020
eyesight2020, Optometrist
Experience:  provide eyecare information for adults and children
63511224

Hello, In August of this year, I suffered a stroke and now

In August of this year, I suffered a stroke and now have homonymous hemionopia with macular sparing. The area that was sort of gray - peripheral vision on right side of both eyes, is now sort of white, but vision has not improved. I have been seeing flashes of light, and sometimes there are images of something I'd seen maybe earlier in the day, or ....at some time in the past. I'd like to know if this is a serious change, and should I see my Neuro-Opthamologist? Thank you.

eyesight2020 :

eyesight2020 :

I will do my best to assist you in answering your question.

eyesight2020 :

In regards XXXXX XXXXX changes you have noticed in regards XXXXX XXXXX visual field, it maybe best to followup with your neuroopthalmologist so he canevaluate you for any changes that may have occurred since august

eyesight2020 :

As far as the flashes of light ,these could be ocular migraines or due to a floater tugging on the retina which produce the flashes you are mentioning

eyesight2020 :

An ocular migaine is a vasospasm of the vasculature of the eye that will produce flashes of light.These are usually benign and can be triggerred by caffeine or stress among some of the causing factors.

eyesight2020 :

The floater is something you would want to have your opthalmologist dilate your eyes for so he can make sure that the floater is not tugging on the retina so much that it is causing a tear.

eyesight2020 :

Should you see an increase in the number of flashes of light or floaters, wavy distorted vision, or a curtain like effect, you would want to be seen immediately by your opthalmologist.

eyesight2020 :

In summary in your case ,it would be best to have your opthalmologist evaluate you with a repeat visual field test and to dilate your eyes to determine if a floater is tbe cause for the flashes of light you are seeing

eyesight2020 :

Should you have anyother questions leave them in the box below.If this has answered your questions, dont forget to rate this session before you leave this website.

eyesight2020 :

Thank you in advance and good luck to you.