Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

my vision goes blurry in one sometimes both eyes, but mostly

my vision goes blurry in one sometimes both eyes, but mostly in my left eye. There is no pain, redness, itchiness or anything other than blurred vision. It does come and go and last a couple mins at a time. About five months ago I went to the ER because of this very thing and they done a eye exam having me to recite the letters on the wall from a distance and was told that my vision was 20/20 and 20/30 in the other. I need to know what I need to do and if I should be worried.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Does it improve or change with blinking?
Doctor DanB : Given that you have no other symptoms other than intermittently blurry vision, the most likely cause is a dysfunctional tear film. The tear film is a layer of tears that coats the front of the eye and much of the focusing power of the eye occurs at the tear film interface with the air. To help restore the tear film, artificial tears should be used 3-4x/day, everyday for 3-4 weeks. If that's helpful, then you may consider tapering down or off of them. If it isn't helpful enough, then it may be that you have more of a need for further treatment for a dysfunctional tear film (also called dry eye). I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist if this is the case. Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.    I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!