Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX my daughter was born aug8th2011

hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX my daughter was born aug8th2011 and unfortunately she was born with corac of the arota and cystic hygroma to make a long story short shes had three heart surgeries and after the second one when she came out her face was half red and she would sweat alot afterwards and her eye is a little lazy her heart is ok now but nov21,2012 we recently went to loma linda to see her neck doctor and she seen that she was a little sweaty and her face was half red and asked why and itold her that after the surgery this came about and she told me it was nerve damage but when i asked the nurse after her surgery she told me it was from one of the anesthias and now the other docotor told me it was nerve damage any advice on what to do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted it sounds like your daughter had damage to a nerve during her extensive heart surgery. This is a known possible complication of this procedure and would not be from the anesthesia.

Dr. Rick :

Does it seem like the upper eyelid on the side of your daughters face that does not sweat as much is a little bit lower then the other one?

Customer:

thank you for verifying that for me because i wasn't quite sure what is was once the her neck doctor told me it was nerve damge and i'm really not to sure why the nurse told me it was from medicine and and no the side of her face that is red is the side where her eye is lazy

Dr. Rick :

It is called horner's syndrome.

Dr. Rick :

The nurse was incorrect......

Customer:

is there anything that i can do legally?

Dr. Rick :

You mean as a lawsuit for the damage to your daughters nerve?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

I am sure that you could find a lawyer to take your money and sue someone. That being said, damage to the nerve pathway that has caused the possible Horner's sydrome in your daughter was part of the necessary risks of saving her life during her heart surgery.

Dr. Rick :

The doctors, knowing this nerve was present would have made every effort to protect it from trauma while working inside her little chest. But, even with the best heart surgeons on the planet this sometimes happens.

Dr. Rick :

In opinion as a father, Grandfather and surgeon, I do not think filing a lawsuit is the best use of your time and energy. That being said, you can ask a lawyer, either here on Just Answer or in person, what they think.

Customer:

ok thats what I thought myself thank you because my family questioned it and i just wanted to verify to them because i ttried to tell them that it was a risk and that we signed consent knowing there would be some risks after the surgerys thankyou

Customer:

i just needed this info to get them off my back thank you

Dr. Rick :

Some lawyers can get around the consent form for you but, with all you are going through, why put yourself through the heartache and pain of a legal battle that will only -- at the very best -- make the lawyer money.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I wish you and your daughter the very beste.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

im more then pleased i just had to get an experts opnion so they can know but iam more then happy with the worrk theyve done for her and iam more then thankfu for them saving her life

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like your daughter is getting excellent treatment. I wish her the very, very best.

Have a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season. :-)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest