Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

it just started i see a small light flash out my left eye.

Customer Question

it just started i see a small light flash out my left eye. i never had this before today. when iam walking i see them. iam 65yrs old can please answer me thank you. michael digirolamo
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Flashes of light are experienced as a result of retinal traction. Eye conditions with symptoms of flashes of light are posterior vitreous detachment(PVD), retinal detachment(RD), ocular migraine. RD is more of an ocular emergency characterised by a sudden bout of flashes of light and shower of floaters along with sudden blurring of vision as if you were to be looking through a veil or curtain. It is unlikely to occur in an otherwise healthy retina. Predisposing conditions for RD includes high myopia( short sightedness), trauma, diabetic retinopathy, ocular inflammatory diseases. Since you have had only one episode of flashes of light ( no history of floaters or blurring of vision, no history of headache/migraine), it is likely that you are experiencing symptoms of PVD.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In this condition the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion. Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field.

More often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do consult an ophthalmologist immediately if you observe sudden blurring of vision/shower of fresh floaters , for a closer look at the retina.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Hello Michael Digirolamo,

I noticed that you have viewed the answer but not responded back or rated the answer. Please let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

Thank you and best wishes.