Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My daughter had an eye infection last week that she got drops

My daughter had an eye infection last week that she got drops to clear the infection. She now has a constant ache around and behind her eye, It is very sensitive to light. She also has pain to touch in the corner of her eye where her nose meets her eyebrow. An eye scan last spring showed what the optometrist called a freckle. She saw an optometrist yesterday who said her eye looked clear and gave her over the counter eye drops for dryness. Pain is getting worse - where should I send her or should she wait the 3 weeks that the optometrist suggested>

Thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

do you know the name of the eye drops? Is she still using them?

Dr. Rick :

does she wear contact lenses?

Dr. Rick :

Good Evening. Welcome to chat.

Dr. Rick :

Also, is her vision affected?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Customer:

I do not know the name of the eye drops that he gave her. The package indicated that it was for dryness and discomfort. She was mad and threw them out - she is away at university so I could not stop her but she said she could buy them at any drug store. She does wear contacts however has not used them since she got her initial eye infection. She said that sometimes the corner gets blurry but it goes away.

Customer:

I was waiting for a text back from her regarding the vision question.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, I do not like the fact that she is sensitive to light and having pain at the corner of her eyes. Given the history of contact lens use and that her eye feels worse now I think it is time for her to see another doctor

Dr. Rick :

At this point I would not waste time going back to the optometrist but rather have her see an ophthalmologist tomorrow morning. I am sure if she calls around she can find an eye MD who can squeeze her into the schedule for a painful eye, especially given her history.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you

Customer:

Yes it does. I will try to find a directory for the city she was in and see if we can get her inbetween classes and exams. If not would a regular medical doctor be able to see anything.

Dr. Rick :

No. They don't have the training or equipment to be of any use.....I don't do heart attacks, and they don't do eyes :-)

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick :

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

I was just thinking of your daughter up in Canada and wondering how she is doing. What did the ophthalmologist find on Tuesday?

I hope she is feeling much better. As a Father who has 2 daughters away in school I can understand how you must be feeling....