Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

Hello. My name isXXXXX woke up today with a terrible

Hello. My name isXXXXX woke up today with a terrible headache, like in the area above my ears. I seldom have head aches. Mi vision is a bit blurred. I feel dizzy and my face is pale. I feel I want to have my eyes closed all the time. My last 24 hours were stressful:
1. Yesterday, my Flight was delayed for 5 hours and plane took off at 3 am. Arrived to NY at 10 am. Slept 4 hours after arrival
2. Missed my dosis of Effexor-X yesterday morning
3. Late last night i had a glass of white wine and smoked 2 cigarettes. Before that I had lamb chops for dinner with vegetables and smashed potatoes. Also I had a cup of herbal tea.
4. Went to sleep at 2 AM . Woke up at 9 am today with TERRIBLE Headache. Took Tylenol and had bkfast -bran cereal with milk-. Took my 75 mg of daily Effexor.
5. Have not taken coffee yet. It is 1:30 pm and I still have the terrible headache. My neck and shoulders feel a tiny bit stiff. My face is still pale.
Can I get your advise of what to do? Thanks. I AM NOT SURE I NEED AN EYE DOCTOR. ITALY A TERRIBLE HEADACHE OR MIGRANE.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your problem. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Hello Gabriela. I am a specialist in ophthalmology and I will be glad to help you with your concerns. There's a little bit more information I would like to ask. So I'll wait to you come back online to get iChat started

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Gabriela, I see that you just rated my response to you as bad service. I hope you didn't really mean that because we haven't had a chance to give you any service at all. I wonder if you could possibly come back online so that I can answer your questions to your satisfaction. Thank you

Customer: Thanks dr.
Dr. Tom-Eye :

So would you like to chat with me a little bit about your condition?

Customer: The system showed rate your response and I had not received any answer!
Customer: So it's unusual to get an e mail asking to rate when there has not been any response yet
Customer: yes
Customer: I explained in detail my condition
Dr. Tom-Eye :

Right, I understand. If you've ever done much in the way of chat room conversations you know how awkward it can be and how we can frequently type over each other. I hope you will uncheck your poor rating of me so we can get started working on your problem. I'll stay with you until you are satisfied then you can write me

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Sorry I miss typed the word write instead of the correct word rate.

Customer: Ok. I submitted a detailed description of my condition. Did you read it?
Dr. Tom-Eye :

Yes, I read it. I'm sorry you're having these problems. I gather you have just traveled internationally. First tell me about the degree of blurred vision that you have right now and also tell me if you've had any previous problems with her eyes. I'd also like to know if your headaches have improved since you posted your question

Customer: International travel . Yes. It's hard to focus on the reading and writing. My eyes are tired or stressed. So my sight is a bit blurry on and off. I feel like closing my eyes . And there is a sort of weird dizziness when I walk. The headache is slightly better since I posted the request. But it comes and goes with force
Customer: I use gasses.
Customer: I don't recall recent problem with my vision
Customer: Glasses
Customer: Sorry
Dr. Tom-Eye :

You mentioned migraine headache. Do you have a history of migraine?

Customer: No
Dr. Tom-Eye :

You mentioned that you missed your dailyEffexor-X. Did you take it today?

Customer: Yes. About an hour ago
Customer: In my lengthy description I mentioned I had taken my Effexor today
Dr. Tom-Eye :

Okay, I'll give you some thoughts based on what you posted and what we have chatted about so far. This is beginning to sound like you might have picked up a virus. Waking with a severe headache, blurred vision, feeling dizzy and having facial paleness certainly fit the pattern. Do you have a family doctor available locally?

Customer: No.
Customer: But I don't have fever no stomach ache
Dr. Tom-Eye :

Right, I understand, but as you know viruses affect people differently. The other thing that I want to point out is that complaints of headache, blurred vision and dizziness can also represent some more serious problems. Are you with friends or family who can watch over here?

Customer: Not really..... What would be those serious problems and which symptoms I need to look out for?
Dr. Tom-Eye :

One of the things that you should be on the lookout for his dehydration. That happens fairly commonly after a long flight. At a minimum you should increase the amount of water intake and consider getting a couple of bottles of Gatorade for electrolyte replacement. However keep in mind that headache, blurred vision and dizziness can also represent the first signs of not only viral infections but more serious problems. While it doesn't sound like you're at a level of concern to necessitate a visit to a hospital emergency department, you should certainly consider going in for a checkup if you have any worsening of those three symptoms. This is by no means to alarm you, but without doing a complete physical assessment, the most prudent thing for any physician who advised is the most cautious approach. So if any of your symptoms get worse instead of slowly getting better please seek an evaluation. If you tell me where you are, generally speaking, I look up the name of a nearby certified facility should you need it. I'll be happy to do that for you

Customer: I thought of dehydration and had lots of water today. I failed to do it yesterday. The blurred vision is slight .....as well as dizziness. Headache is rather strong and very uncomfortable, although its less acute than this morning. I wonder if it has to do with missing the dose of Effexor yesterday and/ or having one glass of white wine last night. Very seldom do I have sucha strong headache. It's very unusual that's why I am surprised and confused because I don't think this is an eye or vision problem.
Customer: I am currently in mid town manhattan, east side.
Dr. Tom-Eye :

Okay, you're in a great place. I live a long way from there but I do enjoy visiting that part of the city I know it pretty well. But it will take me just a few minutes to find the thought of facility I would like you to have just in case you need something. Before I get that information for you, let me give you a little bit of reassurance. It doesn't sound like you're having anything serious or life-threatening. I gave you those recommendations because all we can do in this forum is to chat about your symptoms and try to provide prudent advice and information. There so give me a minute to look up a name and address for you and I'll be right back.

Customer: Ok
Dr. Tom-Eye :

Gabriela, given your location, I think an excellent choice for you would be to go to the emergency department at Lenox Hill, if you feel like you are getting back to normal pretty quickly. Here is the address and telephone number if you need it. Please let me know if you have any other questions. My objective is to satisfactorily take care of your inquiry.( And though I don't usually ask, since you initially rated by service poorly by accident, would you kindly please re-rate my service to you?) Thank you and best wishes for a speedy recovery. I hope your time in the Big Apple is a great success.

100 East 77th Street, New York, NY
(212)(NNN) NNN-NNNN()‎

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems