Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

Hello! I have swollen bag under right eye. I took pictures

Customer Question

Hello!

I have swollen bag under right eye. I took pictures and I would like to send it.
I will aslo send all details that you need togetehr with the pictures.
Could you please provide e-mail address .

Thank you.

Vesna
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you have the pictures, please do send them via this message box itself. Click on the tree symbol / paperclip symbol( then click browse and select the folder where stored and OK it).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you see these symbols in your message box?

Customer :

Yes I am

Customer :

I see symbol for insert

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Dr. A.S. Desai :

This symbol will help to insert the pictures.

Customer :

i will do it right away

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Alright.

Customer :

Full Size Image

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, I do see the picture now.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have any known history of hypertension/diabetes/allergies?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Was there any injury or trauma especially any bang on the forehead a few days back?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

Customer :

I have 2 more pictures but I cant send

Customer :

Yes I am there

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I think the picture you have sent is quite clear and we can very well appreciate the under eye swelling on the right side.

Customer :

I dont have history of hypertensyion/diabetes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

ok

Customer :

allergies sometimes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

ok

Customer :

I did not have any trauma or injury

Customer :

Only my eyes was very itchy and tiery

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since how long have you noticed the swelling?

Customer :

expecially this right one

Dr. A.S. Desai :

ok

Customer :

I think 10 days ago

Customer :

I had bag under left one but it disappered

Customer :

Usually I have bags if I eat salty foods but the next day it disapperesd

Customer :

disapperaed

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Alright. Considering the fact that there has been no history of any injury nor any known history of hypertension or diabetes, the most probable cause could be allergy. Of course the exact source of allergy would be very difficult to detect here.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Salty food are known to retain water thus explaining why you have noticed the symptoms with intake of alsty foods.

Customer :

but why only right eye?

Customer :

I am also in menopause and I know that puffines can be caused with hormonal changes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

As we grow older the elasticity of the skin reduces and the septum in the orbit also becomes weaker . Both of these can predispose the orbital fat to prolapse out thus causing under eye swelling.

Customer :

Do you think that it can also be related to liver problems or thyroid

Customer :

but why only one eye?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But as you have rightly pointed it out, it is likely to occur on both sides. Since the swelling disappeared on the left side, it is more likely to be due to accumalation of fluid in the peri-orbital area due to a very spongy tissue there.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It has just remained in the right side much longer than the left side.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thyroid disorders are known to cause periorbital swelling.

Customer :

what should I do to help it disapperaed?

Customer :

where is periorbital swelling?

Customer :

also I would like to let you know that I am doing regular yerly check up and last one was done at the end of April of this year

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can try taking anti-allergy medicines such as Tab.Zyrtec( cetrizine), 10 mg , 1 tablet at bedtime for 1-2 weeks.

Customer :

everything was Ok at that time

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Periorbital area is the part surrounding the eyes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can try the suggested anti-allergy medicines and cool compresses.

Customer :

do you see on picture that this part is swollen?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes

Customer :

Can it be thyroid then?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It looks more like fluid retention.Could be due to allergy rather than thyroid.

Customer :

I see

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thyroid disorders cause swelling of the entire area around the eyes rather than just under the eye. The cause of swelling there is swelling of the eye muscles ( to almost 8 times their size). Does not look so in your case.

Customer :

OK

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Customer :

just

Customer :

there is no connection with lever and kidnyes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Not a feature of liver disorders.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Though kidney problems are known to cause water retention including under the eyes, it is invariably seen on both sides . Moreover there would have been symptoms suggestive of kidney problem such as variation in the color/frequency of urine, abdomial pain and so on.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Also kidney problems do not occur in otherwise healthy individuals.

Customer :

Ok, thank you veery much.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer :

Do you think that I have to go to the ophthalmologist?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the swelling persists beyond 2 weeks of medication and cool compresses then it is better to consult a physician first ( more likely to be an allergy but nevertheless a routine systemic check would help).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There is a likelihood of eye allergy too as you said that apart from under eye swelling, you had itchy eyes too.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The anti-allergy tablets should be helpful in that case. Over the counter Alaway/Zaditor eye drops ( ketotifen) , 1 drop twice a day for 2 weeks would help in case of a mild ocular allergy.

Customer :

Ok thank you.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Thank you and best wishes.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.