Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I am always getting scratches on my eye balls, there is no

I am always getting scratches on my eye balls, there is no reason for this as i'm always careful, only been happening last two years,what could the reason be. I am 52

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you mean scratches on the cornea?

Customer:

on the eye ball itself and once i tore the cornea

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Recurrent corneal erosion can occur in case of diabetes ( certain metabolic changes in the cornea make it prone for such erosions) , those with corneal dystrophies ( rare conditions).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Have had an eye exam by an ophthalmologist in the recent past?

Customer:

yes was in a eye dpartment just last week,this time it was suggested that the scratch looked different, and that it could be an ulcer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Alright. Corneal erosions can get infected causing corneal ulcers. So the first priority now would be a thorough treatment of the corneal ulcer( antibiotic eye drops, cycloplegic eye drops for 1-2 weeks depending on the response). Once it heals , the next step would be look for underlying ocular cause ( dystropies) or systemic cause ( diabetes). If none are found then treatment has to be symptomatic. That includes lubricating eye drops /ointment with eye patch ( if erosion is larger). Bandage contact lenses can help to overcome the acute phase. The last resort is quite drastic with multiple needle punctures given to the corneal surface so as to ensure there is firm adhesions formed by the natural way of healing.

Customer:

ok dr, thankyou for your help, i will take this to my dr.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Take care.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist