Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

My 3 yr old granddaughter has an area on her cornea that is

My 3 yr old granddaughter has an area on her cornea that is aprox. 2-3 mm raised, yellowish surrounded by blood vessels. She's not complaining of it hurting and has now developed another one on the other eye but smaller. She may have scratched it but we're not sure.

Welcome to

The very fact that the lesion does not hurt points out that the lesion is not on the cornea but rather on the white part of the eye called conjunctiva or at its junction with the cornea called as limbus. If blood vessels are surrounding the lesion then it could be following a scratch of the conjunctiva ( more of discomfort rather than pain). There are many other conditions for such as raised nodular lesion but some are very unlikely at her age while other are associated with other eye symptoms such as eye pain/ allergy. Phylectenular conjunctivitis is another eye condition in which such a raised lesion is seen ( not a very common condition however). It would be better to get her eyes examined for a closer look by an ophthalmologist so as to confirm the diagnosis. If it is just a scratch, it will heal within a week's time and she should feel better with just lubricating eye drops( refresh tears, 1 drop 4 times a day). But if it is something like a phlycten, then it would need prescription eye drops such as fluoromethalone.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist