Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Have a small yellowish-white lump inside the lower eyelid(have

Have a small yellowish-white lump inside the lower eyelid(have to pull down eyelid to see it). Only looks likes a small lump from the outside. Last night I put warm compresses on twice for about five minutes each and then fell asleep. When I woke I looked at it and when I pulled the eyelid down, puss immediately started coming out of the spot. Took a Qtip and removed what I could and washed the eye with warm water. Do I keep doing this procedure to clear it up or should I be doing something else? I have no baby shampoo and dont want to have to buy a whole bottle just to use a couple times to wash my eyes. Is there something else to use?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

sure

Doctor DanB : This sounds like you have a stye which is a blocked oil gland in the eyelid. What you did is absolutely correct. The hot compress has helped move the oil inside the sty and is allowed to start draining. This is exactly what you want. I would recommend to continue using hot compresses 3 to 4 times per day, fairly hot, and massaging that bump with the compress to continue to get it to drain.  Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

Yes it does. The spot is smaller this morning after it has started draining. What risks are there of the drainage in my eye? Am I spreading the infection and risking the problem to keep returning?

Doctor DanB : It's not an infection and that stuff was supposed to be in the eye in the first place so it's okay.
Customer:

ok good....are the warm water washes ok or do I actually need baby shampoo?

Doctor DanB : Yeah the hot compresses are all you need to do. Right now I would not worry about the baby shampoo.
Customer:

Great....thanks for your help. Really appreciate it! I will keep up the wram compresses and washes. Thanks!!

Doctor DanB : You bet. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology