Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Lately anytime I put my contacts in, my eyes become blood shot

Lately anytime I put my contacts in, my eyes become blood shot and irritated. I have disposables, so I threw out old pair, used new ones and the same thing happened with my eyes. I even tried another pair, same thing. I have to wear my glasses now and am not happy about that at all. Is there a reason that I can not wear my contact more than 1 hour before my eyes become irritated? Also when I do remove the contacts, it takes 3-4 days for my eyes to return to normal appearance.

I do not believe the problem is allergies. I've never had this problem. The first time I thought it was pink eye, so just stopped wearing contacts until eyes cleared up. After going through 2 more pairs of disposable contacts, I do not believe that is the problem either. I do not have insurance.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Most likely you are experiencing dryness of your eyes. This is very common in women your age and can be treated in a step-wise fashion. Also, blepharitis can contribute to problems such as yours.

Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

If this home therapy doesn't help perhaps your contact lenses need to be refit. If they are too tight this can also cause symptoms such as you are experiencing.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta....

I don't understand what this means?

The drainage channels for your tears have an opening where your eyelids meet your nose. These openings are called puncta.

To increase the amount of tears on your eyeball, these channels are closed off (punctal occlusion), first with a plug that dissolves in a week or so (temporary punctal occlusion) and, if this is found to help, then with cautery or permanent plugs.

To start the two lower puncta are closed since most of the tears go out this "drain". There is one lower and one upper puncta per eye. If needed, all 4 can be closed.

Does this make better sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.