Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

if you had retinal haemoraging how long does it take to cl

if you had retinal haemoraging how long does it take to clear
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

I an a retinal surgeon and the answer to your question is....it depends.

I can narrow it down if you tell me a little bit more about what is going on.

What caused the bleeding in your eye? Diabetes? Hypertension?

Do you take any medication?

Was the bleeding due to a posterior detachment? Trauma? etc?

How long ago did the bleeding occur?

Have you been examined by an ophthalmologist to make sure your retina is OK?

I look forward to your response
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

eleven month old infant ,subdural haematoma ,no medication,

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
The earlier that the visual pathway can be cleared the better in a child that young as dense amblyopia can set in quickly.

It is important that a pediatric ophthalmologist and a vitreo-retinal surgeon be involved in the baby's care ASAP.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Was this due to shaken baby syndrome?
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the infant is now fifteen years old.he fell from a standing position .could retinal bleed cause blindness in one eye and loss of sharpe focus in the other . how would you clear visual pathways .how long would it take to clear

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok. That is a very different issue.

At this point his decreased vision can be from a very large number of issues.

Just so I understand where we are now, is his eye full of blood right now? Or was this something that happened as a baby?

Was the fall from a standing position what caused his vitreous hemorrhage and subdural hematoma as a child?

What treatment has he had for his vision?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this all happened when he was an infant fourteen years ago . the fall caused the subdural hematoma .we were told the damage to his eyes was permanent blindness in one and loss of focus in the other ,a month after the fall there was no sign of damage to the eyes . is it possible for it to clear in a month

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Vitreous hemorrhage can clear pretty quickly, especially in children, if the retina is OK and the bleed not real dense.

In order to cause 100% lights out blindness, something else must have been damaged in the eye.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Is this all you wanted to know or do you have questions about his current status?

I am happy to continue to help you :) Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there nothing wrong with his eye sight now or when it was cheaked a month after the fall.it seems quick to go from permanent bindness to 20 20 vision in a month and no sign of a bleed

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So. If I understand you correctly, he currently has 20/20 vision.

Is this correct?

And then, recently, he suddenly went lights out blind.

And they said it was from a bleed inside his eye.

And then, suddenly he was back to 20/20 vision.

And you want to know if the blood can go away and vision return so quickly?

Am I correct on this or am I all mixed up?

Let me know.... and if I am off base, please help me to understand.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD