Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had cataract surgery and had perfect vision for several years.

I had cataract surgery and had perfect vision for several years. Lately, I have been having blurry vision. Is there medication that can effect your vision? Currently, I take vesicare, zyrtec lotrel and lipitor.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

The most likely cause for your vision problems is a posterior capsule opacity (PCO).

The artificial lens is placed in the capsular bag after your lens (cataract) is removed. This capsule, in a large number of patients, can become cloudy with time and cause a decrease in vision. Some patients say it is almost like their cataract has come back, or they complain of glare, problems reading, driving at night etc.

The good news about a PCO is that it can be easily diagnosed and treated in your ophthalmologists office -- no need for any further surgery or, many times, even a new eyeglass prescription.

How is it treated? Your eye is dilated just like it is for a routine eye exam. A drop of numbing medicine is placed in your eye and, in most cases, a special hand-held contact lens is placed on your eye. You are positioned at a slit lamp that has a laser attached to it and, using the laser, (YAG) the capsule is cut allowing a clear path for light to get to your retina again. The entire procedure takes less then 5 minutes. There is no "post-op" recovery time needed and you can expect good vision to return as soon as the drops wear off.....sometimes even sooner.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Are you available to chat?
Dr. Rick : I guess you have stepped away from your computer.
Dr. Rick : The most likely cause for your vision problems is a posterior capsule opacity (PCO).

Dr. Rick : Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick