Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Hi, I have one pupil larger than the other mainly in dim light,

Customer Question

Hi, I have one pupil larger than the other mainly in dim light, sometimes the right is bigger than the left and vise versa! Im 26 years old, Don't really drink much, I'm fit and active, I have taken small amounts of drugs in my younger years but only on the odd occasion, don't suffer with any other medical conditions and I went to the opticians recently and they said my eyes were perfect but I'm still slightly worried.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to

I guess there is nothing to worry if there is occasional differences in the size of the two pupils. As long as the vision is good in both eyes, it shows that the optic pathways ( for which the pupil reaction is an indicator) are intact and functioning well. The matter of concern for unequal pupils arises when the difference is more than 1mm and it remains constant at any given time. So I guess all is well with your eyes.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist