pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK

My ophthalmologist diagnosed blocked oil gland caused by chronic

Customer Question

My ophthalmologist diagnosed blocked oil gland caused by chronic conjunctivitis. He says it is aged related. I am 62. His prescribed treatment are drops which help with inflammation and alpha omega 3 capsules for three months. I have a return visit for followup in three months. After that, if no improvement, he will discuss alternative treatment. I feel that I do not have enough information. I also have chronic inflammation of my sinus passages and I sometimes have headaches which start above my left eye. I am wondering if these are possibly all related.
Category: Eye
Expert:  pippistrellodaqua replied 3 years ago.

pippistrellodaqua :

I am happy to assist you today.

pippistrellodaqua :

It is very likely that the symptoms you reported are related.

pippistrellodaqua :

Did the doctor prescribe Restasis by chance?

pippistrellodaqua :

Often times a steroid nose spray will help with inflammation of the sinuses.

pippistrellodaqua :

The Omega-3 oils will help stabilize the tear film.

pippistrellodaqua :

Your doctor can be more aggressive if needed. Further treatment can include oral antibiotics and even minor treatments such as plugging the drainage system of the tears.

pippistrellodaqua :

I will be available to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

Please don't forget to offer a positive rating once your question has been answered fully.

Also, please note that the information here does not replace an examination and should be used as educational purposes only.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is Flonase a steroid nasal spray
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has not prescribed restasis. I have been using flonase for allergies but now I am not sure if it is really allergies that I am suffering from, I think they might be related to the blocked oil gland. I also had cyst removed from the right eye (not eyelid) two years ago. Is flonase an anti inflammatory ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

why haven't I received a reply to my last two questions??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not received any answers to my follow up questions, have you read them?

I'm so sorry I wasn't able to respond until now. I've been in church meetings all day and just now have returned to my computer.

Flonase is a nasal steroid and works well to curb inflammation. It is difficult to determine the source of inflammation in some cases (whether allergic or otherwise) but Flonase treats inflammation from any cause.

Restasis is a great drop which also works to combat inflammation on the eye and to some degree in the eyelids.

Plugged oil glands should be first treated with warm compresses and lid scrubs and can lead to inflammatory reactions.

I will be available throughout the evening and tomorrow to answer any additional follow-up questions. Again, I apologize about taking so long to get back with you. It was a marathon of church meetings that lasted almost 10 hours. I hope you'll reconsider the rating and that we'll be able to turn this into a positive experience.