Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Within the last year, I have noticed that my right eye seems

Within the last year, I have noticed that my right eye seems to veer off to the right. My left eye is just fine, but my right eye is noticeably different. What causes this? Whom should I see to get this fixed? How is this fixed? I wear glasses to read, but my vision is just fine in regard to distance.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : It sounds like your right eye has become misaligned with your left eye. This is called strabismus. I wound recommend seeing your ophthalmologist to determine if there is any serious cause to this. If this happened suddenly, then there is more of a chance that this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed timely. However, if this was a gradual onset, it's more likely that this is not a serious issue (meaning vision or life-threatening). This can be addressed surgically, allowing for the eyes to be re-aligned. Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?    It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.    I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
Customer:

When you say it can be "addressed surgically"...what exactly do you mean? What type of surgery is it? You are right about the misalignment betwen the left eye and the right eye...it is visibly obvious that the right eye is misaligned with my left eye.

Customer:

Why/How does this misalignment occur?

Doctor DanB : This can be addressed surgically by detaching one or more of the muscles that move the eye, from the eye and reattaching them at a different location in the eye. It is a very well-tolerated procedure, usually with minimal side-effects. Some people have an innate tendency for the eyes to become misaligned intermittently and not stay straight all the time. This is most often seen when a person is inattentive, such as when they are staring, very sick, very tired, or, when they are adults, if they become drunk. It's possible for the control over this misalignment that is displayed most of the day to break down resulting in the misalignment. But still possible is a paralysis of one of the nerves that moves the extra ocular muscles responsible for moving the eyes properly. Because its nearly impossible to distinguish this without an exam, I would recommend having an evaluation with an ophthalmologist who is in expert at detecting misalignment and eye movement abnormalities.
Customer:

As a h.s. teacher, I read/grade papers a lot. Does everyday wear on the eyes have a negative effect (like misalignment) on the eyes?

Doctor DanB : No, it really doesn't thankfully
Customer:

Thank You....I plan to see an opthamologist to try to correct the right eye misalignment.

Doctor DanB : You're welcome. Good luck! Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology