Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Had a horrible headache last night felt like migraine over

Customer Question

Had a horrible headache last night felt like migraine over right eye and head , it became worse because it traveled like in my eyeand was extremely painful. That is why I am now concerned. Is that normal? Never had that pain before. Now this morning it definitely alot better but now it 11 am and I feel it starting up a little , when I bend I still feel pain right side and on walking a little . It was like that earlier yesterday before it became severe. I took an Advil just now. I am having a stroke ? My I twitches alot about 2 months now on and off but never had a headache with it , thought I would mention that. Anyway .. Is that a migraine With eye pain ? Should I go to ER ? Please help ..
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

First of all, from what you have posted, I do not believe you are having a stroke.

Dr. Rick :

As a person who has been suffering with Migraines for over 30 years, I can tell you without a doubt that, yes, migraines cause eye pain just like you are experiencing. This is what happens to me very frequently.

Dr. Rick :

The twitching of your eye that you mentioned is most likely myokymia.

Dr. Rick :

Myokymia is an involuntary, local twitching of a few muscle fibers in the body of a muscle. This twitching, if it occurs in a limb, is not strong enough to actually move a joint but can be felt and sometimes seen as an area of quivering.

Myokymia commonly involves the eyelids and muscles around the orbit. It often appears and resolves for no apparent reason and has not been linked to any underlying significant pathology. What causes myokymia? Studies have shown that it is associated with anxiety, stress, lack of good sleep, high caffeine intake and the use of some drugs.

The best way to treat myokymia is to get more sleep, decrease caffeine intake and decrease stress. The good news is that myokymia is not a sign of serious underlying pathology and often resolves on its own.

Here is an excellent article on this topic:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1213160-overview

Dr. Rick :

The fact that you are doing so much better today makes me very confidant that, indeed, what you have suffered from is a migraine.

Dr. Rick :

Should you go to the ER now? From what you have posted, I do not think that is necessary. That being said, I am not there with you so that is a decision only you can make. Going to the ER would not hurt anything, other then you butt from sitting in the waiting room for hours on end :-)

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : First of all, from what you have posted, I do not believe you are having a stroke.
Dr. Rick : As a person who has been suffering with Migraines for over 30 years, I can tell you without a doubt that, yes, migraines cause eye pain just like you are experiencing. This is what happens to me very frequently.
Dr. Rick : The twitching of your eye that you mentioned is most likely myokymia.
Dr. Rick : Myokymia is an involuntary, local twitching of a few muscle fibers in the body of a muscle. This twitching, if it occurs in a limb, is not strong enough to actually move a joint but can be felt and sometimes seen as an area of quivering.

Dr. Rick : The fact that you are doing so much better today makes me very confidant that, indeed, what you have suffered from is a migraine.
Dr. Rick : Should you go to the ER now? From what you have posted, I do not think that is necessary. That being said, I am not there with you so that is a decision only you can make. Going to the ER would not hurt anything, other then you butt from sitting in the waiting room for hours on end :-)
Dr. Rick : Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr . Rick , you are very informative , I need a dr like here in NY . But will the migraine linger into today? Any signs that it is neurological that I should see a specialist sorry freaking out over here.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I can understand how you would freak out, but from what you have posted neither myself or DrDanB believe you have anything to worry about...

I've had migraines that have lasted 4 days, where I could barely get out of bed.

The good news? There are lots of doctors in NY, especially NYC, if you should need them.

So. What is my take home message? You are going to be OK. I, really, would not say this if I didn't think it was true.

I hope this helps you to not freak out so much, as you stated so very well :-)

You will be OK.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest