How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dan B. Your Own Question
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 3343
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Dan B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I ( 67 year old, female), had cataract

This answer was rated:

I ( 67 year old, female), had cataract surgery and soft lense inserts in both my eyes ( May-June 2012). My left eye is OK. I had had laser correction on my right eye, and because of that the surgeon expected my right eye will not be as good as my left eye. I was told I will need glasses to drive in the dark and read small writings. When I went to get the prescription, the optometrist was surprised to see my right eye was 20/20 a year earlier and now I could not even be 50/20. Back to the surgeon, who detected an inflammation - During the eye examination, instead of seeing letters of the alphabet, I saw Chinese writing. I was prescribed Voltaren and Prednisolone, 4 times a day for 4 weeks. If this treatment does not improve, I'm supposed to see a specialist who will do an injection in my eye. It is my 4th week and I don't see much improvement. My question is: is an injection in the eye a common procedure? Should I look for a second opinion? I will appreciate your opinion, thank you in advance. Sona xxxx xxxx My email adress:[email protected]

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : I'm sorry to hear that you're having this trouble. I agree that after four weeks of the topical drop therapy this swellings should have improved significantly if it was going to with this treatment. These injections that your specialist is referring to are indeed common, are well-known and a well used treatment option for swelling in the retina that does not go away with this topical therapy. While the thought is somewhat difficult to tolerate, these injections are usually very successful. Does that make sense?
JACUSTOMER-ppo8ors1- : I can chat and it is the injection that is scaring me and that's why I'm wondering if I should get a second opinion.
Doctor DanB : I can understand the injection being a scary proposition. I have seen and treated this swelling in the retina many times. In my experience if the swelling has not gone away or improved significantly after four weeks of the drops that you are on it is unlikely to improve later while on these drops. Certainly there is nothing wrong with continuing these drops to see if it will work. However there is also nothing wrong with getting a second opinion. At the very least it may verify what the first specialist is telling you, or it may provide a different, or alternative path of treatment that you can consider. A second opinion is never a bad idea. 
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?   
JACUSTOMER-ppo8ors1- : Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX your answer.
Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
Dr. Dan B. and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you