Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Im seeing a bottle cap sized halo when I look at the computer

I'm seeing a bottle cap sized halo when I look at the computer as though i was staring at a ring lamp and then looked away.
This first started this morning when I woke up
It's gotten about 20% bigger since I woke up
i see it very clearly when I close my eyes and then it fades away as I keep my eyes closed
after doing that when i open my eyes the ring is very visible and fades away but the area is slightly blurry with reduced contrast.

any idea what this is or what might cause it, risk of it being serious?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Does this halo float around as you move your eyes from side to side?
Customer:

it's in the center of my left eye

Customer:

if i look straight it is straight ahead, if i look left it moves to where i'm looking, otherwise it is pretty stable

Doctor DanB : This sounds like this may represent some swelling in the retina. At your age, it is unlikely to be super serious, but it's possible that it is. For this reason, I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist (not optometrist) who can do specific tests and has the experience to diagnose these things. Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?    It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.    I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
Customer:

what causes this

Customer:

do you have links to more information I read about this that describe my symptom?

Customer:

should i expect this to go away on it's own?

Customer:

is there anything I can do in the meantime before I can see a ophthalmologist to reduce the symptoms?

Doctor DanB : I cannot definitively say what this is, but in your age group I suspect this is central serous retinopathy. It usually does resolve on its own in several weeks, but some require treatment for it. There isn't anything you can do to improve this before seeing the ophthalmologist. You can visit the following link to read more about this: http://www.ihealthspot.com/PatientEducation/Ophthalmology/tabid/10445/ctl/View/mid/17247/Default.aspx?ContentPubID=407
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this that I can help you with?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?    It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.    I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. 
Customer:

much better answer thank you doctor DanB :-)

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology