Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello doctors, im 24 years old male , currently living in

Hello doctors, i'm 24 years old male , currently living in China 4 weeks ago i had unprotected oral sex with a girl which i suspect she had herpes virus type 1 because she had blister or what's known us cold sore under her lower lips in the facial skin.
after 3 weeks from that, i started to feel stinging burning in the tip of my urethra in side my penis, the pain continued for 3 days and i went to doctor, they said i might have bacterial infection because they haven't seen no discharge and they said if it's herpes, you would have cold or flu like symptoms and some blisters in genital area but i had nothing just pain from my urethra just stinging pain and burning pain that's all.
three days after that i woke up in the morning and saw one of my eyes extremely red, i got scared and ran to the ophthalmologist and she gave me some antibiotic drop called Tobradex, and a gel like fluid known as glanciclovir.
i have been using this for 3 days and i don't see any improvement at all, and i think my other eye is getting infected now.
my symptoms include.
itchy in both eyes more on my left eye.
redness in both eyes more on left.
sometimes i feel like i'm having blured vision specially when walking outside but i'm not sure if it's just me because i'm so worried
because i walk for long distances and the weather is cold i sometimes feel soo much pain and my eyes gets dry.

i go to ophthalmologist every day after the infection started and they look at me with some machine and then send me to check pressure of my eye and they saying it's normal but they can't tell what bacteria or virus is causing this they can't differentiate if it's virus or bacteria

i'm really worried it's been three days and nothing is changing and i heard this could cause vision loss, how can i know when my condition is more serious and how can i overcome before anything like that happen

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Well, first of all, there are hints that the eye doctor should be able to see that would help them to determine if your ocular infection is bacterial or viral.

Dr. Rick :

In any event, while tobradex does not cover every known bacteria using it along with gancyclovir covers you for many bacterial and viral causes of eye infections.

Dr. Rick :

It is possible that it could take more then 3 days for everything to get better so I would just continue what you are doing through the weekend.

Customer:

oh thanks for the soon reply doctor.

Dr. Rick :

Also, it is very unlikely that HSV1 (the most common virus that causes a cold sore) would infect your eye after receptive oral sex with a person who had an active cold sore on her mouth area.

Customer:

i see, i'm just worried if i keep waiting for a week or more and then reach to a place where no one can help or gets serious damage to the cornea

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted I do not think you are on the way to serious corneal damage.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

the reason i'm suspecting hsv1 is because the person i had oral sex with had a cold sore on her lips

Dr. Rick :

Yes. I read that part. I think you are going to be OK

Customer:

is there specific antibiotic for chlamydia,gorronhea or antivirals adenovirus ?

Customer:

i mean antivirals for adenovirus ?

Dr. Rick :

No. There are antibiotics that kill those organisms, but not one that is just for STDs. The gancyclovir will kill most virus' and tobradex gets many bacteria.

Dr. Rick :

Vigamox is a broader spectrum antibiotic but, from what you have posted, I do not think you need to switch antibiotics at this point. And, normally, antivirals are not used except for serious eye infections....

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted I have no reason to believe that you have an STD in your eyes.

Customer:

ahaa, but it just developed three days after the itchy penis feeling,can it be coincidence ?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. I very much doubt whatever is affecting your penis is now in your eye.......

Customer:

i hope that . because the urologist said u might have touched ur eye after touching ur penis or washing it

Dr. Rick :

After two decades of practice I can tell you that it just doesn't spread that easy.....

Customer:

thanks alot

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks alot for your help doctor,

finally what would u suggest me to do now? take my antibiotics and antivral gel for one week and wait for results right?

and i wanted to ask you i walk alot in the cold wind, is that not safe? should i just stay at home till i'm ok?

some friends suggested me to use home remedies like hot cotton, and lipton tea
bag on my eye?

should i avoid sitting on the laptop for long time ?

sorry for taking your time, hope to see ur answers on this ...

Jakob,

No problem. I'm happy to continue to help you. Let me address your questions in order.

1. Yes. keep taking them.

2. Walk all you want in the cold wind :)

3. Don't believe your friends on this....

Have a good weekend.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks Dr.Rick your information was very helpful indeed.

now i feel better and my eyes are not as red as before, how ever when i pull my left upper eye lid up and see inside i can see that the inside is very red.

i'm feeling some kind of blurry vision too, i don't know why my eye looks better and whiter than before after 4 days of taking the eye drops and the gel, but i don't why i'm having this blurry vision, i heard that herpes virus cause scar in the cornea when it's leaving the eye, could that be the reason for what i'm feeling?!!
i spoke with the girl i had oral sex with and she said she was recently diagnosed with herpes virus causing her acute respiratory infection

A little redness under your eyelid when you pull it up is nothing to worry about. The antibiotic drops you are using can cause some redness all by themselves.

The gel can blur your vision some, as can tear film problems. If you had herpes corneal infection with corneal scarring it would be very obvious and painful. Put these worries out of your mind.

Even if this girl had a herpes lung infection -- which is rare, I might add -- you are fine.

So. What is the take home message here? Relax.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks alot i'm very well now, i don't complain about anything and my eyes are almost back to normal, my eye lid is gradually coming to normal size,

i have one little problem which is my left eye, the one that was affected more is now very dry from inside, like i feel some itchiness because of the dryness ? is that OK? is the eye drops to make it less dry?

Jacob,

It is good to hear that you are doing so well. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you and have a good week.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks . i have one little problem which is my left eye, the one that was affected more is now very dry from inside, like i feel some itchiness because of the dryness ? is that OK? is the eye drops to make it less dry?

Yes they can do that. I would use some artificial tears to sooth and lubricate your eyes. That should help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Doctor, thank you for your support and i appreciate your help.

i went to the opthalmologist today for follow up and she said that i don't need to use eye drops or the gel and that my conjunctiva is getting better now, she said there is still some dilated vessels but that usually resolves soon..

however i told her that i started to develop some blurred vision specially in long distances for example while looking at the projector during class, and if i sit on computer for long time, so she sent me to do a vision test with another doctor, he checked my eye pressure which was normal and then he checked my vision with the "E" letters then check my vision through some electronic machine which i look at some thing like a green building or something i don't know really what it is but after checking that, he told me that i have Astigmatism.

he said my right eye is -0.75 * 175 and my left eye is -1.25 *180.

he said my left eye seems to be effected more, and when i remember back during my conjunctivitis my left eye was actually the one that was affected more so did this result from the conjunctivitis? does it cause blurred vision?!

i stopped using the Drops and the Gel three days ago so i don't think it's due to the medicines that i'm using.

the doctor put some glasses on me and i started to see things better but then he told me you currently don't need these glasses and he told me just come back if it gets worse.

do you think i should get the glasses? i'm also worried that this thing is gradually progressing and getting worse and maybe micro-organism is affecting my cornea now, is there is a way to make sure that's not happening?

do people get Astigmatism after conjunctivitis?!!!

and sorry for my too many questions, i'm in China and people here don't speak english well so i can barely explain to them and understand what they are saying unless with dictionaries

Thank you.

Jakob,

I am glad to hear that you are doing so much better and that you eyes have healed up.

Your infection/conjunctivitis did not cause your astigmatism nor will it make it worse. You most likely have had this for a very long time.

It is a very normal eye condition and nothing to worry about.

Do not worry about any micro-organisms affecting your cornea and causing astigmatism.....you are OK

If you are not able to see well enough to do the things you need to do then get the glasses and wear them. If you are OK with your current vision -- as the eye doctor seems to feel you are -- then don't waste your money on new glasses. Wearing the glasses or not wearing them will not hurt you or "protect" you in any way. It is just personal preference.

It sounds like you are being treated by a very honest and well trained eye doctor who is intent on doing the right thing for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Appreciate your quick reply.

yes i have good doctors who help me a lot the only problem is the language barrier ^_^.

the ophthalmologist who was following my conjunctivitis told me to come once every week just to check on my current dilated vessels in my eye

which she thinks is not a big deal to worry about ..

thanks..

My pleasure.