Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

what complications are possible after cateract surgery

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Complications after cataract surgery are divided into early and delayed depending on when these appear after the surgery.

Customer:

Immediately after and following day.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Early complications include- Striate keratopathy(haziness of cornea), iritis(inflammation of the iris), endophthalmitis(infection of the internal structures of the eye), Mild ptosis ( drooping of the eye lid) and so on..

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Other complications include wound leak, iris prolapse, flat anterior chamber, raised intraocular pressure, displaced IOL......

Customer:

How long should this take to clear up? also seeing last tnight the lights were like big triangles.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

One of the possibilities for your symptoms could be corneal edema. It may take 1-2 weeks to clear up completely following which the vision should improve. Other causes for such symptoms includes post operative astigmatism ( can be corrected with glasses after 6 weeks).

Customer:

He is taking various eye drops

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, antibiotic and steroid eye drops are given along with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory eye drops for approximately 6-8 weeks following surgery.

Customer:

He is using various eye drops 4x day

Dr. A.S. Desai :

To be more safe it is better to call up your surgeon's office and let him know of your symptoms so that he can make a note of the same at the next scheduled appointment. Until then he needs to put all the prescribed eye drops as advised.

Customer:

Thank you for your information and advice. Having heard that one wakes up with wonderful clear vision, we were surprised that he was not perfect.This helps us understand that is is a possible long process. thank you.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

During the post operative period one needs to look out for eye symptoms such as acute onset of severe pain/redness/reduced vision/watering/discharge . These if noticed, should be reported to the surgeon/surgeon's office. Some mild symptoms are expected to be seen commonly such as irritation, pricking sensation, mild redness.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. I completely agree with you in this regard. But I guess if the visual symptom is due to corneal edema then there should be improvement in the next few days to come.

Customer:

Thank you. Can this conversation be emailed to us?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Once the chat ends, the entire message will get saved in the form of Q&A pattern. You can easily take a print of the same as and when you require.

Customer:

We feel much better having talked to you

Customer:

Bye

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is my pleasure to have assisted you today.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Bye and take care

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince