eyesight2020
eyesight2020, Optometrist
Experience:  provide eyecare information for adults and children
63511224

This morning my wife woke up and notice a red spot on one of

Customer Question

This morning my wife woke up and notice a red spot on one of her eyes. It is on the edge of the iris but not in the iris. She historically has eye redness but this is more pronounced (not the whole white of the eye but just a spot is red). she is not tearing, has no itching or pain and her vision is the same. Is this likely just a broken blood vessle? Is there something she should do? Thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  eyesight2020 replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I will do my best to assist you. If she doesn't have any crusting or discharge as well it may very well be what we call a subconjunctival hemorrhage or what is simply a broken blood vessel in the clear tissue covering the white part of the eye. It looks pretty bad when it first occurs but is basically a benign finding unless it re-curs in which case her doctor would do additional testing. Since it just happened, she can use artificial tears to coat her eyes.It will gradually change colors as it resolves .She can use cold compresses to start with then as it goes from red to light shades of red she can use warm compressesAny other questions feel free to contact me.If this has helped a positive would be appreciated Thank you.

If this answer has helped.

A positive rating would be appreciated.
Any other questions
HELLO,
I am just doing a follow-up to see how the hemorrhage on your eye is doing.
Any other questions feel free to contact me
Eyesight20/20