Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my72 year old mother just today started loosing her near sighted

Customer Question

my72 year old mother just today started loosing her near sighted vision and was seeing this blue light. she still hasn't gotten her vision back yet. And she said her eyes are feeling hot.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is this affecting both eyes at once?

Dr. Rick :

How long did the blue light last?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Is this affecting both eyes at once?
Dr. Rick : How long did the blue light last?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i dont know how this chat works. Yes. it affects both eyes.blue light about 4 hours

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
How is her distance vision?

Does she have any medical problems or take any medication?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

she can see distance. she was on doxcycline for a cold.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks for that information. I do not think that the doxycycline is at fault here.

It is difficult to tell exactly what is going on with your Grandmother as her symptoms are not typical for any specific condition at this point. She may be suffering from an issue with the central part of her retinas (the macula), an issue with the part of her brain that is involved in processing vision (the Occipital lobe), a vascular problem with the eye or something even a ocular migraine.

Should she go to the ER? If they have an ophthalmologist on-call to come in and evaluate her that might be useful however, a regular ER MD does not have the equipment or training to properly evaluate this issue.

At this point, I suggest that she see an ophthalmologist first thing in the morning for a complete eye exam and work up.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What could cause problems with her retinas? Brain? That could affect her this way? She just laid her Brother down to rest and has been under a lot of stress? Could it be a stroke?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
It is possible that this is from a small stroke to a very specific part of her brain that is involved in processing data from the part of the retina called the macula.

This is fairly rare, but is does happen.

I would not blame her near vision loss on "stress" alone at this point.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

I was just thinking about your Grandmother and wondering what the ophthalmologist found on Friday. I hope she is doing better.