Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Over the last week, Ive developed a very hard (feels like

Over the last week, I've developed a very hard (feels like bone) and VERY painful lump on the inner socket of my eye, located below my eyebrow and above where you develop "sleep". To be clear, the lump is not in my eye, on my eyelid, or in my eyebrow. It's located just off the top/bridge of my nose, in the top corner of my eye socket. Also, every morning the surrounding skin is swollen, then it goes down after about an hour. The lump is about the size of a pinky finger nail. What the heck is this and what do I do about it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer: Did you read my question?
Dr. Rick :

yes

Customer: Ok. I'll await your response. Thanks
Dr. Rick :

Ok. just so I understand where this thing is. Between your eyeball and your nose, your eyelids come together and form a little bump that you can feel with your index finger. Where in relation to this bump/where your lids come together, is this thing?

Dr. Rick :

Does it go all the way away when it gets better?

Customer: I believe the "bump" you're talking about is where "sleep" develops right? My lump is about small finger nail width above the eyelid bump. Meaning, about halfway between the eyelid bump and my eyebrow is where my lump is.
Customer: Also, it never goes away. The swelling of the skin goes down after an hour of rising, but the lump itself does not go away.
Dr. Rick :

Ok. So, from what you have said, it seems that this is on the meaty part of your upper eyelid, right near the meat of your nose. Am I picturing this correctly?

Customer: Yes. It's where you can almost grab a chunk of skin just beneath your eyebrow. It
Customer: Eait
Customer: We need to clarify eyelid. It's not on the part of my eye that blinks, but the surrounding skin of my eye socket, just above the bump you were talking about and near my nose
Dr. Rick :

Well, this could be a couple of things. It might be a subQ cyst, a early chalazion, a lipoma (wouldn't change like yours is though...) or it could be a lacrimal duct cyst/infection.

Dr. Rick :

That is how I was picturing it...thanks.

Dr. Rick :

There are a few ways you could go. You could either try some home therapy over the weekend and see if things improve, or you could skip all of that and see an ophthalmologist tomorrow......what would you like to do at this point?

Dr. Rick :

If I could see and touch you I'd be able to tell you exactly what is going on, but using the internet as my only diagnostic tool kinda limits me :(

Customer: I'd rather see a doc an get it worked out. It something that can be drained? Why is it SO hard? I have Ciproflaxin that was an extra re-fill, would this help?
Dr. Rick :

You sound like my wife....she just loves to use antibiotics that are sitting around lol!

Dr. Rick :

Without knowing what is going on I don't think throwing antibiotic at it is a good idea. And while you have not told me if you are male or female, if it is the latter I'm sure you don't want a yeast infection for nothing....

Dr. Rick :

Yes, if it is something under the skin a surgeon can cut into it....we love to do that lol!

Customer: Male. Forgive me, but what kind of doctor do I need to see? I'm a student on a student health plan, so I'm kind of limited
Dr. Rick :

I would suggest an ophthalmologist. The student health center (Called the Quack shack in my day) should have an eye doctor available

Customer: Great. Thanks
Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest