Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My son has problems with altering eye "stacked" vision. Its

My son has problems with altering eye "stacked" vision. It's gone from occassional to daily. He has been to 2 eye doctors and one neurologist for the eye. He has 20/20 vision and nobody can give a cause for condition. The only treatment has been 2 seperate pairs of glasses, one for each eye, that has a prisim inserted. When he feels the condition coming on, he puts the glasses on that goes with the affected eye. The glasses correct the double vision, but he has endure headaches, nausea, feels unbalanced when walking before and after the onset and maks him very drained/tired after dealing with this. The doctor told says my son he is the only person in the world with this condition and it appears the glasses are the only treatment he is going to receive. This condition is dangerous for him at work and if he is driving. It is also very depressing for him to feel this is the best that can be done..live with it. Do you have any input on what could be causing this problem or a treatment not just a bandaid. He is 42 years old. Condition has been getting worse for approimately 6 years. Blood work ok and blood pressure jut a little high (doesn't require rx).

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Well, the only place to go for a second opinion when you are the "only person in the world with this condition" is to a very large University Teaching Hospital. They love to evaluate, treat and publish all about interesting cases.

Dr. Rick :

The other option, of course, is to be happy that the glasses work for him and not worry about it.

Dr. Rick :

In your son's case I would further suggest that he not go to just any large university teaching hospital but to one few "cutting edge" University Eye Centers.

Dr. Rick :

Where would I suggest? Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia, The Mayo Clinic in Rochester , Mn, Bascom Palmer in Miami UCSF in San Francisco or Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.

Dr. Rick :

At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Well, the only place to go for a second opinion when you are the "only person in the world with this condition" is to a very large University Teaching Hospital. They love to evaluate, treat and publish all about interesting cases.
Dr. Rick : The other option, of course, is to be happy that the glasses work for him and not worry about it.
Dr. Rick : In your son's case I would further suggest that he not go to just any large university teaching hospital but to one few "cutting edge" University Eye Centers.
Dr. Rick : Where would I suggest? Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia, The Mayo Clinic in Rochester , Mn, Bascom Palmer in Miami UCSF in San Francisco or Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.
Dr. Rick : At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
.