Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I was wondering if you could tell me what would cause me to

I was wondering if you could tell me what would cause me to have pinkish/red eyes when i wake up in middle of night or morning. Its clears up within minutes after waking up and my eyes stay clear all day. I was recently sick a coupla months ago and had several antibiotics including doxycycline 100mg 2x daily for 10 days and and a month later cipro 250 mg 2x a a day for 10 days. Doxycycline was for some fever and chills that would not go away. The cipro was to kill a possible bladder infection. I had 2 episodes with kidney stones. I had not been sexually active for a few months prior to the doxycycline treatment. I am at my wits end and having the red/pink eye condition is driving me crazy. It makes me think my body is telling me i may have something serious (cancer? Kidney disease?) I did have conjunctive during my first bout of sickness and had copius discharge with matting eyes upon awakening. Prescribed amox and given some eyedrops. The large disharge dissappeared and now have some tearing if any and only slight,white color substance collect in corner of eyes (nose side) thru out day. Can u give me some ideas on problem or guide me in right course of action from an eye perspective. I am a 50 year old male and stress is and has been an issue in my life for about year and half. I know this is long winded but i am really worried.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Have you been using any OTC drops that are redness relievers or that say they get-the-red-out?
Doctor DanB : Do you wear contact lenses?
JACUSTOMER-kmimjnm6- : I have not tried any over the counter stuff for eyes. I do wear contacts but had them out for awhile to see if that would change anything......obviously it didnt.
JACUSTOMER-kmimjnm6- : Is that my answer sir?
Doctor DanB : Sorry. I'm here Ran into a dead Zone on my phone.
JACUSTOMER-kmimjnm6- : Thats ok i understand
Doctor DanB : I suspect that what's happening is some inflammation in your corneas called keratitis. This can happen for several reasons and of those there are two of which apply to you. The first is you've had infections that can be associated with eye manifestations that if ate significant enough can cause a self-propogating inflammation (the keratitis) which causes the symptoms you're having. The second process that could be contributing to this keratitis is your contact lens wear. Let me elaborate...
Doctor DanB : This can happen in contact lens wearers whose corneas become irritated by the bacteria in their tear film and the toxic products these bacteria produce.  These bacteria are normally found in everyone's tear film (or layers of tears that coat the eye).  However, this isn't a common thing seen in the general population, because many people don't wear contact lenses.  The contact lenses tend to be effective trappers, keeping these bacteria and their inflammation-inciting toxins trapped against the cornea, causing the cornea to breakdown and succumb to inflammation and infection.  The very first step in treating this is to refrain from using the contact lenses for at least a week, but sometimes it requires being out of them for even 2-3 weeks.  However, in most patients, this isn't enough to make it go away.  Most people will then require and antibiotic/steroid combination drop to help encourage the infection and inflammation to go away.  To that end, I would recommend visiting your ophthalmologist to get a complete exam and to get the medicine you need for this--unfortunately you can only get this medicine with a prescription from your doctor. 
Doctor DanB : Coincidentally, this prescription drop wound also treat keratitis caused as a by-product of the infections you had in the recent past.
Doctor DanB : Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?   
JACUSTOMER-kmimjnm6- : I understand what u are saying and through research have come across the keratitis. I also came across reizters syndrome and some other possibles. I have no eye pain or pressure and sometimes feel like a slight burning sensation along top eyelid eyelashes at end day like when tired or dried out. I looked into blepharitis but i dont fit that symptom wise either. I know i will try ur suggestion........will opthamologist write prescrip or by general practitioner?
Doctor DanB : I would stick with the ophthalmologist; your GP is going to be clueless about this.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other concerns or
Doctor DanB : questions about this?
Doctor DanB : If not, Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
JACUSTOMER-kmimjnm6- : Ok i have read a little about keratitis......also reiters syndrome.....and blepharitis. I was worried about reiters syndrome(reactive arthritis). I dont fit the blepharitis i dont think.....i do have swollen lids at times and sometimes a mild burning along top eyelashes.....but i work daily outside in elements and that could cause that at times.
Doctor DanB : This doesnt sound like Reiter's syndrome. While blepharitis may certainly possibly be happening in your eyes (it is VERY common), I believe that it is not responsible for the entirety of your symptoms; I think the keratitis is responsible for that.
JACUSTOMER-kmimjnm6- : Ok do u mean my gwneral practitioner or opthamologist will write prescrip.
Doctor DanB : You should see your ophthalmologist about this and he/she would write the prescription.
Doctor DanB : Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. 
Customer: Thank you for ur learned opinion. I know it isnt easy Diagnosing thru this avenue especially using only words as an examining tool as opposed to physical observation. I am satisfied you have done as much as you can in helping me and i appreciate that. Have a good remainder of week and u be blessed.
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology