Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I had cataract (upgraded lens) 6-9 months ago on both eyes.

I had cataract (upgraded lens) 6-9 months ago on both eyes. I have been experiencing double vision when facing straight ahead but moving my eyes left, right and upward. This is a real problem. What are the possible causes and remedies. Thanks. JC

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Does the double vision go away if you cover either eye? When did the double vision start with respect to both surgeries?

Yes. The double vision goes away if I cover either eye. I'm not certain when the double vision started,but I suspect it was after the second surgery (about a month later in mid May). Joe PS I don't chat, but I can give it a try.

Doctor DanB : Thank you for your reply. If the double vision were present in just one eye (meaning it was only present when that eye was open), then I might suspect that your new lens implant might be responsible. However, because the double vision is only present when both eyes are open (meaning that neither eye is responsible by itself), this means that the double vision is related to a misalignment of the eyes. This could be related to a neurological problem which could, potentially be a serious issue, especially if you've never had issues with double vision or a crossed eye or an eye that drifts out. If you have had issues such as this in the past, then this double vision you're having is likely related to that and therefore, may not be a serious neurologic issue.
Doctor DanB : Unfortunately, the only way to sort out which of these two issues is causing your double vision is to see an ophthalmologist. If you're currently seeing one and he/she doesn't have an answer for you, then I would recommend getting a second opinion. I wish I could give you a definitive answer on-line, but in the case of double vision, the exam is a crucial piece of the puzzle, and unfortunately it's. It something I can accomplish online.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?  Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?    It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.    I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!