Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Hi. We have had a case recently where a rust ring was removed

Customer Question

Hi. We have had a case recently where a rust ring was removed from a patients eye by a licenced physician. My question is about time line. Is there any 'rule of thumb' that allows us to determine how long it takes for a rust ring to develop?
He had reported an irritation to his eye approx 4pm and the rust ring was visible at 7pm.

Many thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. There's no rule of thumb that guides an ophthalmologist about when to expect to see a rust ring. They will usually appear fairly quickly, but because they are essentially part and parcel of most metallic corneal foreign bodies, and the rust rings usually are successfully and expeditiously removed, it usually is not much of a concern of ours. Does that make sense?
Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?   

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. 

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!