pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
69746508

I had cataract surgery this past August and had toric lenses

I had cataract surgery this past August and had toric lenses implanted, with less than great results. I have a film behind my right lens that is to be lazered at the end of this month, and am now feeling a weirdness in my left eye, think I can see an air bubble behind the lens. It is causing me nausea. What do I do now?
Category: Eye
Expert:  pippistrellodaqua replied 1 year ago.

pippistrellodaqua :

I am happy to assist you today.

pippistrellodaqua :

I'm sorry to hear that your cataract surgery outcome is not what you were hoping for.

pippistrellodaqua :

The vision in the eye with the film should improve greatly once the secondary membrane is removed via YAG laser surgery.

pippistrellodaqua :

Toric lens implants do work well in the majority of cases. For these lenses to give you the best vision possible, they must be aligned perfectly.

pippistrellodaqua :

If the astigmatism orientation is off even just a little it can cause blur and distortion. I suspect this may be happening in your eyes.

pippistrellodaqua :

On occasion the surgeon can go back in and rotate the lenses somewhat so that they orient properly to give you the vision you require.

pippistrellodaqua :

Though I cannot help with getting you seen by another doctor any sooner I hope to give you some hope that there are several possible fixes to the problems you have described.

pippistrellodaqua :

Second opinions are always fair and I believe you are doing the right thing by seeking out another doctor.

pippistrellodaqua :

I will be available to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

Please don't forget to offer a positive rating once your question has been answered fully.

Also, please note that the information here does not replace an examination and should be used as educational purposes only.

pippistrellodaqua :

Welcome to the chat, by the way.

pippistrellodaqua :

Do you have additional questions or concerns?

Customer:

What about the air bubble? Is that common? How is that dealt with?

pippistrellodaqua :

An air bubble behind the lens should not be there. I've never seen an air bubble from cataract extraction alone. If it truly is an air bubble then it should dissipate over time. If it is a secondary membrane that is altering the vision then it should be cleared up by your YAG laser procedure.

pippistrellodaqua :

Do you have additional questions or concerns? Please consider leaving a positive rating once your question has been answered fully.

Customer:

The laser procedure is scheduled for my right eye, the bubble is in the left. If it's just an air bubble, what would that be caused by? And if it's a secondary membrane, can the laser be performed on both eyes in the same day?

pippistrellodaqua :

There is no way an air bubble would just form. If it is an air bubble it would have to be due to the initial cataract extraction. Again, I've never seen or heard of this happening. Usually we don't perform YAG procedures on both eyes at the same time just to make sure that healing takes place on the first eye then we go back in for a second procedure once we've seen a proper response. Again, this is usually how it's done, but I'd ask the surgeon. It never hurts to ask.

Customer:

I think I'll keep trying to find a surgeon who can see me sooner than 5 months. My current surgeon is a bit cavalier regarding my disappointment at having paid for the toric lenses and still have to pay at least $600 for prescription bifocals. She thinks I should be happy. So, I will continue to search for someone who will see me.

pippistrellodaqua :

I agree. Again, I'm sorry this happened. My thought is that you paid good money and you should see as well as possible.

pippistrellodaqua :

The good news, again, is that there may be several options to get you seeing better. Finding a doctor who will take better care of you may be the first step.

pippistrellodaqua :

I'm happy to answer any further questions if needed. Please don't forget the positive rating at the end of our discussion. Thank you again for allowing me to assist you today.

pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience: Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.