Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I just had a vessel rupture this past Wed. and it was starting

I just had a vessel rupture this past Wed. and it was starting to clear up and today around 2:30 just watching tv my eyes started hurting really bad and watering and when I went to the mirror it was all dark red almost all over the white parts of my eye and I didnt do nothing for this to happen. Do I need to go to my family Dr. or to a eye Dr.? Please help me.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

You are going to be OK. What you have experienced is a repeat sub conjunctival hemorrhage.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

This is not an emergency. That being said, since it is the second one you have had in a week it would be a good idea to see your primary care MD for a quick evaluation. She may want to do some lab tests, check your BP and do a physical exam to make sure everything is ok.....99 times out of a hundred, it is.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick :

Hi. My screen shows you have just entered the chat room. Do you have any other questions for me?

Dr. Rick :

Do not use visine as this will not get this red out and it just irritates you eyes

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : You are going to be OK. What you have experienced is a repeat sub conjunctival hemorrhage.
Dr. Rick : In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

Dr. Rick : This is not an emergency. That being said, since it is the second one you have had in a week it would be a good idea to see your primary care MD for a quick evaluation. She may want to do some lab tests, check your BP and do a physical exam to make sure everything is ok.....99 times out of a hundred, it is.
Dr. Rick : Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?
Dr. Rick : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much my husband said I should see my Dr. so im going to try and get into him tomorrow thanks for your help.

Sounds like a good plan.