Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have sudden blurry vision in one eye. Also headache. No weeping

Customer Question

I have sudden blurry vision in one eye. Also headache. No weeping or discharge from the eye. Have had cataract surgery on this eye approx. 12 years ago and retina surgery for detaching retina in 2002. There is a sterile buckle on the eye.
Opthamologist can't see me until tomorrow. Is this an emergency?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina surgeon. With your glasses on, and only using the affected eye, can you read? Tell me more about your distance vision.....

Customer :

no, i cannot read, without or without my glasses (using that eye). my distance vision may bebetter thancloseuo

Customer :

hard to type

Dr. Rick :

when checking your distance vision, does it seem that the center of your view (the object you look directly at) is blurrier than the objects off to the side?

Customer :

it's as is there's a black veil over my eye. been having some blurred vision for a while,

Dr. Rick :

How long has it been since you first noticed this decrease in the vision?

Customer :

but got noticealbly worse on

Customer :

friday night and may begetting worse as time goeson

Customer :

i have alens implant fora cataract about 2000. then in 2002,emergency surgery

Customer :

for a detaching retina

Dr. Rick :

How many days ago did you first notice this change in vision?

Customer :

major change started friday night, nov 2

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

Now. I would like to ask you a very specific question about something you said.

Customer :

ok

Dr. Rick :

Has the loss of vision seemed like it is a curtain that has been moving across your line of sight and, now, it seems that your ability to read has been affected? This is a very important question, so take your time in answering.

Customer :

starting a few weeks ago, i began having morefloatets. sometimes in now

Customer :

see long black linesin my vision like wheni'm looking at a white surface.

Customer :

on nov 2 in the evening it wasif the veil came down, hasn't been moving acrossmy line

Customer :

of sight, it's constantly there.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, it is very possible that your retina may have detached again. This is not real common ten years after placement of a scleral buckle, but it can happen.

Dr. Rick :

The only way to know for sure what is going on,of course, is to have an ophthalmologist do a dilate eye examination.

Customer :

i have not not lost peripheral vision as i did in 2002,if that matters. i can

Dr. Rick :

In any event you have a serious loss of vision at this point and it needs to be evaluated.

Customer :

see light and images in all directions, just blurry

Customer :

do you think waiting until tomorrow when the

Customer :

emoryeyeclinic openstorequest an appointment is ok.they maynot have an opening for a day or so.

Dr. Rick :

Going to the ER will be of no value as ER docs don't have the training or equipment to deal with this problem. The only way it would be useful is if there was an ophthalmologist on call who could come in and see you.

Dr. Rick :

I would prefer that you be seen ASAP, and for sure no later then Noon on Monday. Do whatever you can to get them to give you an appointment.

Dr. Rick :

Also, I'd not eat or drink anything, other than a sip of water for your normal medications, prior to seeing the ophthalmologist Monday morning.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer :

are there other likely causes for this condition?

Dr. Rick :

There are many, a recurrent retinal detachment is only one of them. But a long differential diagnosis list is not going to be very useful at this point. Why? Because you have experienced a severe loss of vision it needs to be evaluated by an eye surgeon sooner rather than later......

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer :

thank you foryour help. yes this makes sense.

Customer :

Joe

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure Joe.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joe,

I just finished placing a scleral buckle on a patient with a retinal detachment and my thoughts turned to you. What did the ophthalmologist find? I hope things turn out OK for you. Have a good day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Joe had a victrectomy procedure done on an emergency basis on Monday at Emory Hospital. The surgeon found an extensive tear as well as bleeding into the retina. Joe was just commenting on how valuable your advice was to not eat anything after midnight in case they needed to do retinal surgery.
The put in a gas bubble and he is now spending his days and nights face down until Saturday.
Thank you for your help!

Carol XXXXX

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Carol,

Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear that Joe got the treatment he needs and is on the road to recovery. Please give him my best and let me know if there is anything I can do to help in the future.