Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Experiencing a periodic, semicircular flashing of light in

Experiencing a periodic, semicircular flashing of light in the lower and outside perifrey of my right eye only when there is eye movement Been happening for the about 12 hrs now. No pain or any other irritation.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

How is your vision in your right eye?

Customer:

fine, no change in vision. Just this annoying phenomena

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Good news. You are going to be just fine.

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

Dr. Rick :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

Mostly but I have had no recent trauma to cause a detachment?

Dr. Rick :

These things happen without any need for trauma etc. I, personally, have had a PVD in my left eye for 30 years and not had any retina complications from it. Also, as a retina specialist I see this issue every day in my office although, as you might imagine since I have a referral based practice, I tend to see the patients who end up with a secondary retinal detachment.

Dr. Rick :

I would say, however, that in 9 out of 10 cases of a PVD that are not associated with intra-ocular bleeding, there is nothing to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

Since you did not report a large number of floaters, which could be a sign of bleeding, I think there is a very good chance you will be OK>

Customer:

Thanks