Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX were riding bicycles

Hello, my name isXXXXX we were riding bicycles with my older son, who is 5.5 years old and he felt from a bicycle. Unfortunately, the major point of contact was his face - he felt on a curbstone with his cheek right below his right eye. It was not looking very serious yesterday. We washed it immediately with water and then with hydrogen peroxide. Now it looks like a red swelling around his eye (it looks like hematoma on boxers). What you can advice to do with this injury? He is very affraid of doctors (actually we never had serious problems with health or other serious injuries, but i think it is mostly because of dental doctors :))

How it looks like approximately after 22 hours

Hello and thanks for your question. Does he have double vision, nausea, significant eye pain, or decreased vision?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thank you for quick response.

No, we are watching for all symptoms and looks like we have no other problems. He doesn't complain on any kind of pain, can see normally, is playing right now with has youngest brother as always. He had no increase in body temperature, no nausea and has a good appetite. That's the primary reason why we still hadn't visited medical center.

And wanted to add, that yesterday after this accident we ride back home and he was able to ride his bike all the way to our home (1 mile approx.), so i'm thinking we have no concussion

Okay, so assuming there was no loss of consciousness, then he doesn't seem to have any symptoms that sound dangerous. I would recommend using cool compresses on the face/eye several times per day to help reduce the swelling, as well as using neosporin ointment on the road rash areas three times daily. If the swelling gets significantly greater, more tender, or if he develops any of the symptoms I asked about before, then I would recommend seeing his eye doctor right away.

Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. 
My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your response. This sounds like what i was expected to hear. We will use your reccomendation and will do compresses and use ointment.

How long we should use cold compresses?

I found in the internet advices about using compress from "grated raw potatoes" and washing by cotton sweb with "strong brew of tea and chamomile"? Do you have any opinion about last two?