eyesight2020
eyesight2020, Optometrist
Experience:  provide eyecare information for adults and children
63511224

I was having small scaly flakes on my left eye and put on a

I was having small scaly flakes on my left eye and put on a thin layer of aquaphor (healing ointment). The folds above my eye have now swollen dramatically and I don't know what to do - warm compresses/cold compresses - I've even had a friend that suggested putting on preparation h on my eye? Help!

eyesight2020 :

eyesight2020 :

I understand you are having a problem with your left eye

eyesight2020 :

I will do my best to try to help you with your question

eyesight2020 :

How long were you having the scaly flakes,are they along the eyelashes or near your eyebrow

Customer:

In the corner of my left eye - closer to my eyelashes - just a few days I've noticed them

eyesight2020 :

Has your eye been red or has your eye been stuck shut in the morning with any kind of discharge,any pain or any kind of ocular discomfort

Customer:

no - nothing like pink eye - just mild scaling - very slight - I seem to have had a reaction to the aquaphor - should have left it alone - now it is swollen and my left eye looks like it is 100 years old

eyesight2020 :

I would discontinue using any ointments at all and donot use preparation h around the eye

eyesight2020 :

Yiu may have expeirienced a contact dermatitis from applying the aquaphor around your eye

eyesight2020 :

For now I would use the cold compressess untill you can see your eye doctor in which case he may prescribe for an antibiotic/steroid ointment which is of opthalmic use to help calm down the situation

eyesight2020 :

Any more questions

Customer:

Thanks - anything available over the counter that I could use - my doctor is really difficult to get into

eyesight2020 :

Over the counter ointments are not really appropiate for use around the eye and can be harmful if used for a long time.Today being Sunday you can do a couple of things

Customer:

What can I do now?

eyesight2020 :

I do not know where you live but any of the commercial settings like a Lenscrafters,Target,etc. may have a doctor on hand that could look at your eye with appropriate instruments or even the hospital walkin

eyesight2020 :

Does this help a little

Customer:

thanks