Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

RA RR

Customer Question

I had catarct removal of my right eye a month ago. Today I started to see what appeared to be my eyelashes in my vsion moving but it wasn't that and tonight I am seeing flashes of light?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am a retina specialist.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

Dr. Rick :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

A PVD can commonly occur after cataract surgery. This is particularly true if your surgery had any complications such as a tear in the posterior capsule with vitreous loss. If this had occurred your surgeon would have told you about it.

Dr. Rick :

As long as you do not have any of the signs of a retinal detachment that I have mentioned above you should be OK. Since you recently had eye surgery, however, I would feel better if you gave your surgeon a call on Monday and had her take a look at you.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am a retina specialist.
Dr. Rick : Are you available to chat?
Dr. Rick : I guess you have stepped away from your computer.
Dr. Rick : You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

Dr. Rick : You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

Dr. Rick : A PVD can commonly occur after cataract surgery. This is particularly true if your surgery had any complications such as a tear in the posterior capsule with vitreous loss. If this had occurred your surgeon would have told you about it.
Dr. Rick : As long as you do not have any of the signs of a retinal detachment that I have mentioned above you should be OK. Since you recently had eye surgery, however, I would feel better if you gave your surgeon a call on Monday and had her take a look at you.
Dr. Rick : Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?
Dr. Rick : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
.