Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I was driving at night and cars approaching had verticle light

Customer Question

I was driving at night and cars approaching had verticle light bands straight up, like 50 foot high bright laser lights. Stop lights were vertical bands to street and also straight up. When in traffic it looks like many cars approaching with bright vertical light sticks going up to sky. Weather was clear.Not on drugs except Alli for weight loss and verapamil for BP. never seen like this before although last year had episode while reading in normal light of voids on page where print was missing so that book could not be read due to the voids. I wear bifocals but this is inexplicable.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Did you have any headaches, eye pain, redness, sensitivity to light, discharge, tearing, grittiness or itching at the time?
Customer:

No.And I was sober.That was why it seemed strange,odd.

Doctor DanB : Was this in both eyes at the same time?
Customer:

yes. both.I closed one eye,still there.

Doctor DanB : Any shimmery or flashing lights associated with this?
Customer:

No. Not flashing.Just steady beams of vertical lights. Not halos.Straight vertical lines. In heavy traffic it was almost like a curtain.

Doctor DanB : Did it improve or change at all with blinking?
Customer:

No lasted 30-45 minutes until I was home.Then today it is gone. In bright ,normal room effect not there.

Doctor DanB : Was the onset gradual or sudden? How about the resolution?
Customer:

Seems resolved.Didn't drive tonight but came on during aXXXXXabout 1/2 way. Very pronounced and strange.Interesting but definitely not hallucinating.

Doctor DanB : But did it come on all of a sudden or was it a gradual onset? Did it go away suddenly or gradually?
Customer:

I would say fairly sudden. Did not go away until in normally lit room.

Doctor DanB : Do you wear glasses for driving?
Customer:

Yes. Bifocals for years. They were clean.

Doctor DanB : How old is the prescription?
Customer:

All RXs are new.Lipitor, Calan, and recently Alli for weight loss about 1-2 day for 10 days.On diet.

Customer:

Glasses within 1 year

Doctor DanB : Were either of the episodes you mentioned associated with nausea, irritability, or sensitivity to bright light or loud noises?
Customer:

Nope.I would say sensitivity to light was the problem due to strange vertical beam phenonema from headlights and every other light source such as street lights and stop lights.

Doctor DanB : While it's difficult to say with certainty what this is because I can't examine you, I suspect this could be related to one of three things, the first one being the most likely: 1. A migraine, 2. Cataracts, or 3. a need for the glasses to be updated. Nos. 1 & 2 are both less likely given that these don't correspond to sudden insets and onsets and resolutions. Let me elaborate, though, on the first...
Doctor DanB : A typical migraine starts with an abnormal “light show” which sometimes is described as shimmering or zig-zag lights, which can sometimes surround a blurry area of the vision. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises, but everyone's pattern is different; some people don't have any of these other symptoms. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), a headache (and/or possibly eye pain) typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.  The visual phenomenon that people experience with migraines do vary from person to person but often involve blurry vision with a lighted phenomenon; many people describe them as shimmering, but most consistently is an abnormal lighted visual phenomenon which is sometimes associated with blurring or hazy vision.  One of the hallmarks of a person with a typical migraine headache is their need to abandon all activity in favor of a quiet, dark room where they can sleep off the headache. One of the less commonly known features of migraines is that many persons can have this visual migraine phenomenon without actually having headache; this is called an acephalgic migraine. The spectrum of severity of headaches among migraine sufferers runs the gamut from no headache to severe, debilitating headaches. There tend to be many varied triggers for migraines, but some of the most common are chocolate, wine and cheese, stress, overuse of the eyes, and exposure to fluorescent lighting.  Many people find that over-the-counter migraine preparations such as Excedrin-migraine work well. The common theme among these preparations is the ingredient of caffeine. There are prescription medicines that can be taken on a daily basis to help prevent them (if they become frequent enough to alter your life) and there are also medicines that can be taken on an as needed basis to help abort the headaches once they start. Most primary care doctors feel comfortable prescribing these, but if not, a neurologist would be a good place to start. If you are having other symptoms such as loss of vision in one eye, double vision, difficulty talking or swallowing, or are experiening numbness or weakness in any specific part of the body, these are symptoms which are not normal for migraines and you should see either your primary care doctor or an emergency room doctor as soon as possible. Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?   
Customer:

No. Seems like this could be.I'll consult doctor opthomologist or neurologist if it persists. good answer.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology