Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

i had crystal lens implant to my left eye 4 weeks ago. I am

Customer Question

i had crystal lens implant to my left eye 4 weeks ago. I am having sigificant visual disturbances, dizziness and nausea. Has anyone had similar issues and how did you resolve the symtoms?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Have you had cataract surgery in your other eye already? If not, are you using your old glasses still, with the old lens for the left eye still in place? If not, how are you functioning visually? No glasses at all, or just for reading?

Customer:

no glasses at all, the Crytalens instructions state not to use reading glasses..

Doctor DanB :

Have you had surgery in the other eye yet?

Customer:

No this was my 1st cataract surgery. I've seen 3 eye Drs over the last week due to my eye Dr suggesting we change out the lens if this is not resolved and all 3 now say additional surgery to replace the lens is my only option. Apparently surgery must be done soon before previous surgery completely heals.

Doctor DanB :

Certainly there are many people who do not react well to this surgery, and it sounds like you are one of them. Let me elaborate...

Customer:

hello?

Customer:

your message cut off at let me elaborate, please continue

Doctor DanB :

Because these lenses function somewhat differently than your natural lens (even though Crystalens is thought to function most like the native, natural lens), the brain can have a difficult time adapting to these kinds of lenses. This can be seen in the form of halos, glare, dizziness, unsteadiness, and overall difficulty functioning. Most people...

Doctor DanB :

Most people are able to see a resolution of these symptoms over a several week period. But how long it takes each person to get over these symptoms varies greatly, depending on the individual. For some they adapt after 3-4 weeks, others 3-4 months, others 1 year, and for some they don't ever adapt. It could also be that your brain is fighting the two eyes because one eye still has your natural lens and one eye has the Crystalens...

Doctor DanB :

I think, however, that the decision if and when to remove the lens is up to you. If you feel these side effects are not something you can tolerate for any further length of time, then it would be good to go ahead and get it out.

Doctor DanB :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

could glasses with matching prescription for the other eye be an options? I appreciate your honest straight forward information. I was told that my symtoms aren't due to the lens which had me baffled as to a resolution.

Doctor DanB :

I think if the other doesn't have a refractive error that matches your eye that's been operated on it wouldn't help.

Customer:

Thank you. You've been most helpful. One more question pls. All 3 state if I am going to change out the lens it needs to be done asap. In your opinion can this decision wait to see if symtoms resolve?

Doctor DanB :

What they're getting at is the fact that the lens is easier to remove the closer the removal is done to the implantation. The longer it stays in there, the higher the likelihood that it is more difficult to remove. That being said, however, it is certainly still do-able in most cases, even several weeks to months after the surgery. You certainly couldn't be faulted for waiting 4 more weeks, but also, if you can't function as it is, you certainly wouldn't be faulted for getting it out now.

Customer:

Again thank you for your straight forward most informative information.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology